Ecuador international Piero Hincapie said that he plans to leave Talleres de Cordoba this summer, with Celtic and Premier League outfit Newcastle United interested, while speaking to Radio Impacto via ESPN.
If the 19-year-old centre-back was a man in demand before the 2021 Copa America, well, he certainly will be after it.
Hincapie was the rock at the heart of an Ecuador side who frustrated Brazil during a 1-1 group stage draw last week and will now be looking to repeat the trick against Lionel Messi and Argentina during Sunday’s quarter final.
Whatever happens in Goiania, the offers will soon be flooding in for Hincapie, with Mundo Deportivo reporting that both Celtic and Newcastle are interested.
Will the Copa America star join Celtic or Newcastle?
It is no secret that Steve Bruce wants defensive reinforcements at St James’ Park, preferably a talented ball-player who can start attacks from deep. Teenager Hincapie ticks a lot of boxes for Ange Postecoglou too; a coach famed for his willingness to give youth a chance.
“A player dreams of going abroad and playing in better leagues,” said Hincapie, breaking his silence after weeks of speculation.
“If the opportunity to leave is given, it would be best to take that leap.
“I haven’t talked to (chairman Andres) Fassi yet. I can’t promise the fans that I’m going to stay. You never know what’s going to happen.”
At this stage, it looks unlikely that Hincapie will still be plying his trade in South America come September.
The aforementioned Fassi insisted last week that the 6ft centre-back was more than ready to give European football a go, before admitting that he was in ‘advanced’ talks with a number of Serie A clubs.