We have compiled 17 quotes on International Transgender Day of Visibility 2023 as we explore the origin and significance of the national day.
International Transgender Day of Visibility is observed annually on March 31 and celebrates transgender people and communities around the globe.
The national day was created by activist Rachel Crandall in 2009 to highlight the contributions of trans people and their continuous fight for equality and rights.
“Today, we show millions of transgender and nonbinary Americans that we see them, they belong, and they should be treated with dignity and respect,” a statement from the White House read on Thursday.
“Their courage has given countless others strength, but no one should have to be brave just to be themselves. Every American deserves that freedom.”
Here are some quotes you can share if you want to contribute to the celebration and share some posts on social media.
17 International Transgender Day of Visibility quotes
- “The more I hold myself close and fully embrace who I am, the more I thrive.” – Elliot Page
- “I’ve never been interested in being invisible and erased.” – Laverne Cox
- “When you become the image of your own imagination, it’s the most powerful thing you could ever do.” – RuPaul
- “Trans people are extraordinary, strong, intelligent, persistent and resilient. We have to be. And we will not stand for the picking and choosing of rights. We still have hope.” – Grace Dolan-Sandrino
- “I want to make a difference in the world by speaking out and spreading hopeful messages. I want to send the message of “you are not alone and you are safe” to other transgender kids.” – Rebekah Bruesehoff
- “We have to be visible. We are not ashamed of who we are.” – Sylvia Rivera
- “All of us are put in boxes by our family, by our religion, by our society, our moment in history, even our own bodies. Some people have the courage to break free.” – Geena Rocero
- “I can’t begin to express how remarkable it feels to finally love who I am enough to pursue my authentic self.” – Elliot Page
- “I never say ‘trans but,’ always ‘trans and.’ Because it’s like, no, I don’t hide who I am. People know exactly who I am here.” – Danica Roem
- “If I wait for someone else to validate my existence, it will mean that I’m shortchanging myself.” – Zanele Muholi
- “I’m saying goodbye to people’s perception of me and who I am; I’m not saying goodbye to me, because this has always been me.” – Caitlyn Jenner
- “I’m more a collector of identities and words that feel right to me. To me this is an inarguable point. I am who I say I am and that’s not up for debate.” – Ian Harvie
- “Every time a trans person comes out publicly, my heart leaps for joy. That kind of visibility is essential to progress.” – Charlotte Clymer
- “We are not what other people say we are. We are who we know ourselves to be, and we are what we love. That’s OK.” – Laverne Cox
- “I’ve always been transgender, and I always will be. Having said that, my spirit is feminine. If you had to divide humanity into two groups, I would sit with the women.” – Anohni
- “Makeup can be used to express yourself as well. Those experiences should not be limited to women. Everyone should be free to be as colorful as they want to be.” – Ian Thomas Malone
- “But from the moment I had voiced my trans identity that first night, every step I took felt like coming home.” – Calvin Payne Taylor