Fans of the soap opera Dynasty are up in arms over the latest cancellation that has squashed any plans for a sixth season.
We explain why Dynasty got canceled, see what fans are saying about the axe on Twitter, and provide an episode guide to the fifth and last season.
Developed by Josh Schwartz, Stephanie Savage, and Sallie Patrick and based on the American prime time soap opera of the same name from the 80s, Dynasty stars Elizabeth Gillies, Sam Adegoke, Robert Christopher Riley, Grant Show, and more following heiress Fallon Carrington.
No Dynasty Season 6 after The CW cancelation
The CW is no stranger to axing several shows at once, but the recent onslaught is believed to be down to the network’s upcoming sale, which has rendered its future uncertain.
Alongside Dynasty, The CW also canceled Roswell, New Mexico, In the Dark, Charmed, 4400, Naomi and Dynasty, Legacies, Batwoman, and Legends of Tomorrow.
TV Series Finale reported that Dynasty’s fifth season averaged a 0.04 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 261,000 viewers, which is a 14% decrease from Season 4, which may have contributed to the network’s decision to cancel it.
Dynasty fans outraged on Twitter
One Dynasty fan decided to throw shade on fellow CW show Riverdale, asking if the writers have any dirt on the network executives:
Another fan shared a clip from the soap of a brutal home fight, stating that this sequence represented them running into The CW’s office to cause a scene:
Lastly, this fan shared a montage of Fallon Carrington believing that the character carried Dynasty and that the show did not deserve to be axed:
Dynasty Season 5 episode guide
The CW has only released the Dynasty Season 5 schedule up to the beginning of June, ending with Episode 14. However, WhattoWatch confirmed back in April that Season 5 would carry 22 episodes – which would match the pattern of previous seasons.
With no scheduling information known past Episode 14, it’s hard to pinpoint the exact series finale date, but it is thought to be placed sometime in August 2022.
Below, we have outlined the episode titles and release dates we know so far:
- Episode 1: Let’s Start Over Again – Monday, December 20, 2021
- Episode 2: That Holiday Spirit – Monday, December 20, 2021
- Episode 3: How Did the Board Meeting Go? – Friday, March 11, 2022
- Episode 4: Go Catch Your Horse – Friday, March 18, 2022
- Episode 5: A Little Fun Wouldn’t Hurt – Friday, March 25, 2022
- Episode 6: Devoting All of Her Energy to Hate – Friday, April 1, 2022
- Episode 7: A Real Actress Could Do It – Friday, April 8, 2022
- Episode 8: The Only Thing That Counts Is Winning – Friday, April 15, 2022
- Episode 9: A Friendly Kiss Between Friends – Friday, April 29, 2022
- Episode 10: Mind Your Own Business – Friday, May 6, 2022
- Episode 11: I’ll Settle for a Prayer – Friday, May 13, 2022
- Episode 12: There’s No Need to Panic – Friday, May 20, 2022
- Episode 13: Do You Always Talk to Turtles – Friday, May 27, 2022
- Episode 14: Vicious Vendetta – Friday, June 3, 2022
By Jo Craig – [email protected]