Roblox has detailed how to get and use voice chat and it requires you to first verify your age.
The feature has been a long-time coming despite concerns raised about its inclusion. Most concerns stem from the fact that a large portion of its playerbase is children and they could be talking to adults.
While concerns are understandable, there is an age restriction and you can turn the feature off as well as report people.
Did Roblox add voice chat?
Roblox has added voice chat to the game.
The feature is called Spatial Voice and it allows people to verbally communicate with others in-game. It was first announced in February and the team made it clear that they were focused on making it safe.
Not everyone will be happy or feel comfortable with its inclusion, but it cannot be used by people under the age of 13. There are also ways to report abuse and you can disable it if it proves a horrible experience.
How to turn on voice chat in Roblox
You need to be verified as age 13 or above to turn on and use voice chat in Roblox.
Provided you meet the above condition, simply follow the below steps to enable the Spatial feature:
- Proceed to Account Settings
- Click the Privacy Tab
- Toggle the Spatial Voice selector to ON
- It will turn from grey to green, indicating that voice chat has been enabled for your account.
If you wish to turn it off to disable the feature, all you need to do is the follow above steps and toggle it to OFF. The game’s help website also provides details on how to report abuse and block users.
How to verify your age
You will need need to be 13 or older and have a government-issused photo ID to verify your age.
Provided you have the above, simply follow the below steps:
- Log into your account
- Go to Settings
- Select Account Info
- Click Verify My Age underneath Birthday
- A popup will appear and on your desktop computer, you will see a QR code. Scan this QR code with your mobile device
- You will be directed to roblox.com/verify and will be prompted to begin the age verification process
- Click on Start Session and follow the instructions
- Allow camera access
- Scan your ID document (driver’s license, passport, residency card etc.)
- Take a selfie to show that you are the same person as the one on your photo ID
- Navigate back to your original Roblox session. You will see real-time status updates there. Once verification is complete, you will see a pass or failed result
Check out Roblox‘s help website for more information.