Not a week goes by without a great new TV series being recommended.
It’s hard to balance all of the shows that come our way, but there are some that stick out for certain reasons.
Indeed, one of those reasons in this instance is that it’s immediately clear the series is important.
Created by Danny Strong, Dopesick is definitely an essential piece of work.
Based on American journalist and author Beth Macy’s 2018 book Dopesick: Dealers, Doctors, and the Drug Company That Addicted America, it began premiering on Hulu on Wednesday, October 13th 2021.
Both the book and series offer a fascinating but nevertheless heartbreaking dive into the American opioid crisis, its impact, and how it has spread over the last two decades.
The first installments will already have you hooked but how many episodes of Dopesick are there?
How many episodes of Dopesick are there?
Dopesick will be made up of eight episodes in total.
The first three episodes were dropped on the very same day but subsequent installments are scheduled to drop weekly, as follows:
- Episode 4: Wednesday, October 20th
- Episode 5: Wednesday, October 27th
- Episode 6: Wednesday, November 3rd
- Episode 7: Wednesday, November 10th
- Episode 8: Wednesday, November 17th
As for whether there will be more episodes after that, Dopesick is billed as a miniseries and there is no reason to anticipate a second season.
“I want people to think…”
During a conversation with The Hollywood Reporter, the show’s creator Danny Strong explained what he hopes Dopesick’s release will achieve:
“I want people to think about a path forward, about treatments and therapies and different things that people with an opioid abuse disorder — and that the relatives and friends of people that suffer from one — could do to not just have more compassion for them so that they can have a better understanding of what they’re going through, but that they can help them find a path forward.”
He added: “I hope [audiences] take away an understanding of the crimes that Purdue Pharma perpetrated on the American people, because it’s quite shocking and horrendous, and there’s a feeling that they’re going to get away with it. At least we can have this show to document for everyone what they actually did.”
Who is aboard the cast?
The series boasts an exceptional cast of big names in film and TV.
You can check out a list below:
- Michael Keaton as Dr. Samuel Finnix
- Peter Sarsgaard as Rick Mountcastle
- Michael Stuhlbarg as Richard Sackler
- Will Poulter as Billy Cutler
- John Hoogenakker as Randy Ramseyer
- Kaitlyn Dever as Betsy Mallum
- Rosario Dawson as Bridget Meyer
- Jake McDorman as John Brownlee
- Ray McKinnon as Jerry Mallum
- Cleopatra Coleman as Grace Pell
- Will Chase as Michael Friedman
- Phillipa Soo as Amber Collins
- Jaime Ray Newman as Kathe Sackler
- Andrea Frankle as Beth Sackler
- Rebecca Wisocky
- Meagen Fay as Sister Beth Davies
- Trevor Long as Rudy Giuliani
- Michael Pollock as Himself
Dopesick is now streaming on Hulu.