Here is everything that you need to know about the upcoming Blade Runner: Black Lotus anime series, including plot, release date, streaming and voice cast!
Blade Runner is an icon of modern science fiction and has become a cult classic franchise for millions of fans around the world, especially within the neo-noir genre.
From movies and comics to spin-offs and TV series, there are hours upon hours of content from the Blade Runner universe available for you to enjoy.
However, the franchise is getting a new addition this year; an anime series co-produced by Crunchyroll and Adult Swim called ‘Black Lotus’.
So, what date will Blade Runner: Black Lotus release online and which platforms will be broadcasting the new title?
Blade Runner: Black Lotus’ setting and plot…
Blade Runner: Black Lotus takes place in Los Angeles 2032 in the immediate aftermath of Black Out; an animated short film from 2017 that acted as a prequel to the Blade Runner 2049 live-action movie.
Black Lotus will centre on a “female replicant protagonist” but will include familiar characters from the wider Blade Runner franchise such as Doc Badger.
“Los Angeles 2032. A young woman wakes up with no memories, and possessing deadly skills. The only clues to her mystery are a locked data device and a tattoo of a black lotus. Putting together the pieces, she must hunt down the people responsible for her brutal and bloody past to find the truth of her lost identity.” – Blade Runner: Black Lotus synopsis, via Press Release.
How to watch Black Lotus and episode guide…
For the vast majority of international fans, Blade Runner: Black Lotus will be available through the Crunchyroll streaming platform.
The series will air weekly for both premium and free users, with premium content costing £7.99 a month and gives access to new episodes one week early.
Black Lotus will also be airing on Adult Swim’s Toonami programming block in the United States and on Adult Swim in Canada.
At the time of writing, Blade Runner: Black Lotus will consist of 13 episodes; with no information to suggest this will be a split-cour production.
Blade Runner: Black Lotus release date and time…
The project was first announced back in November 2018, with confirmation that Black Lotus would premiere in 2021. In June of this year, it was then revealed that a Fall premiere was being targeted for both the Adult Swim broadcast and simulcast on Crunchyroll.
The first two episodes from the Blade Runner: Black Lotus anime series will release on either Saturday, November 14th or Sunday, November 14th depending on your international location.
New episodes will air on Crunchyroll at 9 PM PDT and at the following international times:
- Pacific Time: 9 PM PDT on Saturday, November 13th
- Eastern Time: 12 AM EDT on Sunday, November 14th
- British Time: 5 AM BST on Sunday, November 14th
- European Time: 6 AM CEST on Sunday, November 14th
- India Time: 9.30 AM IST on Sunday, November 14th
- Philippine Time: 12 PM PHT on Sunday, November 14th
- Japan Time: 1 PM JST on Sunday, November 14th
This article will be updated as more information on the broadcast is revealed.
A stellar voice cast…
As part of the 2021 Virtual Crunchyroll Expo, both the Japanese and English voice cast were revealed.
The Japanese dubbing will include:
- Arisa Shida as Elle (Indra and Ameno from Naruto: Shippuden)
- Shinshu Fuji as Joseph (Risotto Nero from Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure)
- Takako Honda as Alani Davis (Anko Mitarashi from Naruto)
- Takaya Hashi as Niander Wallace Sr (Toki from Fist of the North Star)
- Takehito Koyasu as Niander Wallace Jr (Zeke from Attack on Titan)
- Taiten Kusunoki as Marlowe (Ibuki from Beastars)
- Yoshiko Sakakibara as Josephine Grant (Yuriko from Highschool of the Dead)
- Hochu Otsuka as Earl Grant (Hans from Tanya the Evil)
- Takayuki Kinba as Doc Badger (first major role)
- Masane Tsukayama as Senator Bannister (Roger from One Piece)
- Akio Nojima as Doctor M (Mitsuzo Soroi from Kill la Kill)
- Kazuki Yao as Hooper (Majitani from Hunter x Hunter)
Whilst the English version will consist of:
- Jessica Henwick as Elle (Nymeria Sand from Game of Thrones)
- Will Yun Lee as Joseph (Dr Alex Park from The Good Doctor)
- Samira Wiley as Alani Davis (Pussey Washington from OITNB)
- Brian Cox as Niander Wallace Sr (John Landon from Planet of the Apes)
- Wes Bentley as Niander Wallace Jr (Jamie Dutton from Yellowstone)
- Josh Duhamel as Marlowe (Will Lennox from Transformers)
- Peyton List as Josephine Grant (Poison Ivy from Gotham)
- Stephen Root as Earl Grant (Monro Fuches from Barry)
- Barkhad Abdi as Doc Badger (Abdulwali Muse from Captain Phillips)
- Gregg Henry as Senator Bannister (Dennis Rader from The Hunt for the BTK Killer)
- Henry Czerny as Doctor M (Conrad Grayson from Revenge)
- Jason Spisak as Hooper (Ford Travis from Pacific Rim: The Black)
Who are the production team?
Blade Runner: Black Lotus will be directed by Shinji Aramaki (Ghost in the Shell: SAC 2045) and Kenji Kamiyama (Eden of the East), with the producer being Shinichiro Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop).
The series is animated by Sola Digital Arts, a Japanese production studio that also worked on Evangelion: Another Impact, Ultraman and two Starship Troopers projects, Invasion and Traitor of Mars.
This article will be updated with more information on Blade Runner: Black Lotus as soon as it is revealed.
By Tom Llewellyn – [email protected]
In other news, World’s End Harem release sadly delayed until January 2022