“Dammmnnnnnn!”

Admit it, you definitely didn’t read that in your own voice.

There are so many iconic comedies of the nineties that serve as perfect time capsules, whether we’re talking Clueless, American Pie, The Big Lebowski, or beyond.

However, for some, no movie night with your mates is better than when Friday is gracing the screen.

It’s a laid-back classic and is arguably the kind of film that just comes along far too rarely these days. With this in mind, it’s no wonder that its adoring fans are still so keen for another sequel.

F. Gary Gray’s 1995 film was followed by Next Friday and Friday After Next in 2000 and 2002, respectively.

Over the years, there has been talk of a Last Friday movie, but is it in production or not? What’s the status?

Halloween Kills | Final Trailer

still from Friday trailer, New Line Productions, YouTube

Last Friday: Is the movie sequel coming out?

Although the long-awaited sequel is not currently in production, Ice Cube remains optimistic that the project will be made one day.

He previously confirmed while appearing on SModcast that Warner Bros. Studios doesn’t wish to pursue any sequels: “Me and New Line [Cinemas] (which is under Warner Bros.) own it together, but of course they got the rights to put the f***ing sh*t out.”

Of course, this will make it difficult to get the ball rolling, although Ice Cube hopes the studio will release the rights to him at some point: “I want the f***ing movie back. You know, I want my sh*t back, so I can go make my movie.”

While on the podcast he opened up about the first script that he penned. The screenplay sees Craig and Day Day owning a cannabis dispensary that is robbed. In the chaos, they get into a fight and are sent to jail.

There, they encounter people from the past that wish them harm before being sent to rehab run by Smokey. Rather than surrendering the drugs, the staff has been smoking all of the stuff they seize.

Ice Cube explained that Warner Bros. shut it down because the characters were “spending too much time in jail” which is “not really funny.”

This encouraged him to go back to the drawing board with another script he even went as far to call “perfect.”

Considering he wasn’t keen to shed any light on narrative details, we can assume that this is probably the script he’ll make if given the go-ahead.

Remembering AJ Johnson and Friday co-stars

Originally, a fourth film was intended to coincide with the original’s 25th anniversary in 2020.

Since the third film, however, John Witherspoon (Willie Jones), Tommy Lister (Deebo), and Anthony Johnson (Ezal) have sadly passed away.

Anthony was the latest to pass away on Monday, September 6th at the age of 55.

The actor’s representative – LyNea Bell, owner and president of BH Talent – said in a recent statement:

“The world of comedy has truly been shaken, again. Our BH Talent family is heartbroken about the loss of the iconic legend of stage and screen Mr. Anthony ‘AJ’ Johnson. He has left with us amazing memories of his laughter, dynamic acting skills, but most of all his enormous personality and heart of gold.”

She added: “We will be in constant prayer for his entire family including his wife Lexis, 3 children, brother Edward ‘Peanut’ Smith, sister Sheila, and lifetime manager and friend Mike D. Please give them the time they need to process and grieve such a huge loss.”

“For me personally, I probably won’t”

Earlier in 2021, Chris Tucker said that he probably wouldn’t do another installment of the franchise during an interview with Club Shay Shay:

“For me personally, I probably won’t because I never wanna short change my audience and my fans. I know they want it, because they know and love it, and I’m glad they love it. But I don’t wanna come back in something that I probably can’t do what they want… I’m grown… I’m different.”

It’s sure to dishearten fans, but with Ice Cube so determined, it’s not worth saying never even despite the obstacles currently standing in the project’s way.

In other news, Where was The Father Who Moves Mountains filmed? Locations explored