Sir Elton John has cancelled and rescheduled a number of concerts as part of his Farewell Yellow Brick Road tour.
The 74-year-old singer gave the update on Twitter and Instagram, explaining why he was forced to cancel some of his shows from the tour.
Fans have wished the musician speedy recovery and sent messages of support on social media.
Which concerts did Sir Elton John cancel?
Sir Elton John cancelled a number of his concerts in Europe and the UK.
The 22 dates in UK locations which were supposed to begin at London’s O2 Arena on November 14th this year have been rescheduled to take place in 2023.
A Twitter statement says that it is with “great sadness and a heavy heart” the singer is forced to cancel the concerts as part of his Farewell Yellow Brick Road tour due to a hip injury.
“At the end of my summer break I fell awkwardly on a hard surface and have been in considerable pain and discomfort in my hip ever since,” Sir Elton said.
“Despite intensive physio and specialist treatment, the pain has continued to get worse and is leading to increasing difficulties moving. I have been advised to have an operation as soon as possible to get me back to full fitness and make sure there are no long-term complications.
“I will be undertaking a programme of intensive physiotherapy that will ensure a full recovery and a return to full mobility without pain.”
Which concerts will go ahead?
His concerts in the USA haven’t been postponed and are planned to go ahead in early 2022.
Sir Elton also said that he will still take part in the Global Citizen event which is on Saturday, September 25th in New York City.
“Being just five songs it’s a very different physical undertaking to the demands of playing for close to three hours every night on tour and travelling overnight between countries,” the musician added in the statement.
“After this I will be having the operation to ensure the tour can get back on the road in January of 2022 in New Orleans.”
Sir Elton concluded his statement, saying: “I know how patient my incredible fans have been since Covid halted touring last year, and it breaks my heart to keep you waiting any longer. I completely feel your frustrations after the year we’ve had.
“I promise you this, the shows will return to the road next year and I will make sure they are more than worth the wait.”
Fans wish the singer speedy recovery
Many fans of the singer have wished him speedy recovery and sent messages of support and love.
“Take your time getting better m’dear. Our tickets are still on the shelf and we’re looking forward to seeing you when you get back to health. Look after yourself,” wrote one fan.
“Get well soon Elton I will be there bopping away in 2023,” said another one.
Someone else added: “I’ve been waiting since 2019 but your health is the most important thing ! Get well soon, Sir!”