After what has seemed like an eternity, Endeavour is back on ITV for its long-awaited eighth series.
It’s now 1971 and after the toils of the past year, things aren’t going to get any easier for Endeavour Morse as he’s faced with some of his toughest cases yet.
As ever in a murder mystery, Endeavour season 8 is set to welcome back its main cast of characters while also placing the spotlight on a host of guest stars but just who is due to appear in the cast of episode 1?
Endeavour season 8, episode 1: Release date and plot
Endeavour season 8 is due to begin with episode 1 at 8pm on Sunday, September 12th.
Titled Striker, the first episode in the new series – which is directed by Shaun Evans himself – gets off to an explosive start as Morse and the team are called to investigate a college bomb that could potentially be linked to the IRA.
However, attentions are divided when Oxford Wanderers’ star striker, Jack Swift, receives a death threat that drags Endeavour and his team into the heart of 1970s football and the glitz, glamour and outrages hairstyles that came with it.
Episode 1 cast
As ever in a murder mystery, Endeavour welcomes back its central cast of characters as well as introducing us to a host of guest stars.
Joining Shaun Evans in the cast of Endeavour season 8, episode 1 are:
Main and recurring
- Shaun Evans as DS Endeavour Morse
- Roger Allam as DI Fred Thursday
- Anton Lesser as CS Reginald Bright
- Sean Rigby as DS Jim Strange
- James Bradshaw as Dr Max DeBryn
- Abigail Thaw as Dorothea Frazil
- Caroline O’Neill as Win Thursday
- Sara Vickers as Joan Thursday
- Ruth Bradley as Sarah Sellars
- Christopher Brand as DS Bill Shaw
- Colum Convey as Marmaduke Ward
- Killian Coyle as George Sellars
- Eleanor Fanyinka as Cecily Fenner
- Andrew Havill as Professor Lucius Stamfield
- John Hollingworth as Dan Lofthouse
- Evelina Järrebring as Brigitte Eriksson
- Elliot Levey as Ray Jubba
- Lewis Macleod as Eamonn Andrews
- Mia McCallum as Maggie Widdowson
- Joseph Millson as Robert Fenner
- Julian Moore-Cook as Jack Swift
- Jacinta Mulcahy as Mrs Swift
- Roxanne Palmer as Frida O’Rourke
- Tom Spink as Noel Baxter
- Harriet Thorpe as Miss Newell
- Gabriel Tierney as John-Paul Martinelli
- Nicki Vickery as Skinhead
- Angus Yellowlees as John Sarson
- Gianni Calchetti as John the Post Worker
Guest star spotlight
Julian Moore-Cook as Jack Swift
Taking on the role of Oxford Wanderers’ star striker Jack Swift is Julian Moore-Cook.
The actor made his debut in a 2013 episode of Casualty and has since gone on to appear in Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation, Doctors and the ITV sitcoms Benidorm and Kate & Koji.
Ruth Bradley as Sarah Sellars
It’s appropriate that Ruth Bradley takes on the role of Sarah Sellars in an episode about football as the actress has recently been appearing in season 2 of Ted Lasso as school teacher Ms Bowen.
TV fans may know Ruth better from her roles in Humans, Primeval and the 2012 film Grabbers.
Eleanor Fanyinka as Cecily Fenner
Eleanor Fanyinka only broke into the acting industry in 2013’s Common People but the actress has several big roles to her name with appearances coming in Death in Paradise, Midsomer Murders, The Sandman and over 100 episodes of Holby City where she played Morven Digby between 2015-17.
Andrew Havill as Professor Lucius Stamfield
Andrew Havill is one of the most experienced guest stars in episode 1 as the actor has over 100 acting credits to his name in a career spanning almost three decades.
Fans will likely know Andrew best for his roles in 2019’s Downton Abbey film, ITV’s Victoria and The King’s Speech. He’s also due to appear as Robert Fellowes in The Crown’s upcoming fifth series.
John Hollingworth as Dan Lofthouse
John Hollingworth takes on the role of Dan Lofthouse in season 8 but he’s actually appeared on Endeavour before. Back in 2013’s first series, he appeared as a taxi driver.
Since then, John has gone on to appear in some huge projects including Netflix’s The Queen’s Gambit, Rebecca and The Crown as well as 1917, Gentleman Jack and 20 episodes of Poldark where he played Captain Henshawe.
Harriet Thorpe as Miss Newell
And finally, we come to Harriet Thorpe who takes on the role of Miss Newell in Endeavour’s eighth season.
The Hampstead-born actress has been appearing on our screens since the mid-1980s and has over 70 roles to her name including appearances in Absolutely Fabulous, French and Saunders and The Brittas Empire.
Endeavour season 8 begins on ITV with episode 1 at 8pm on Sunday, September 12th.
In other news, The Flash season 8 release date and what we know so far