Photo by MB Media/Getty Images

Simon Jordan has labelled the four Aston Villa and Tottenham players involved in the controversy in Brazil over the weekend as ‘arrogant’ and ‘self-indulgent’, as he told talkSPORT (07/09/21 at 10:15 am).

It has been a drama-filled international break for Villa and Spurs quartet – Emiliano Martinez, Emiliano Buendia, Giovani Lo Celso and Cristian Romero.

What-If EVERY Premier League Team Was A Country

BridTV
4707
What-If EVERY Premier League Team Was A Country
857708
857708
center
13872

All four were accused, by Brazilian health authorises, of breaking COVID rules during their visit to the country last week.

It all resulted in health officials storming the pitch on Sunday and halting Argentina’s World Cup qualifier against Brazil – in the end, the game was abandoned.

Former Crystal Palace owner Jordan didn’t hold back when discussing what happened in South America over the weekend.

“The clubs should have had more backbone rather than start from a position of ‘we are all going to say no’ to then ‘oh, I am going to be a little mealy-mouthed about it’,” said Jordan.

“Now, Tottenham’s situation is slightly different because their players have done precisely want they want and there needs to be consequences. That’s weak on Villa’s part, they have backed down to player power.

“What you have got is an absolute degradation of responsibility from players and a complete and utter disregard for the principles of the countries they are playing in. It’s an absolute mess.

“What it shows you is the immature, arrogant and self-indulgent attitude and think they can do what they want. You cannot fly to a country with a 14-day quarantine and rock onto a football pitch!”

Photo by Tottenham Hotspur FC/Tottenham Hotspur FC via Getty Images

It has now emerged that the Spurs duo actually went against their club’s wishes and travelled to South America, even though they didn’t have permission to do so, as reported by Sky Sports.

On Villa’s part, they allowed their number one goalkeeper and recent summer signing to travel.

And they had already planned for them to be absent for their upcoming Saturday evening clash at Chelsea.

Either way, this surely isn’t the last of it and it’s going to be interesting to see what happens during the next international break.

Someone, somewhere needs to show authority and not allow players to travel to red-list countries because the planning for all this is just a complete and utter joke.

In other news, Title-winning manager needs 'extraordinary' offer to leave, after claims he wants Newcastle job