Werder Bremen have confirmed the imminent departure of USA striker Josh Sargent with Premier League newcomers Norwich City expected to complete a deal, as reported by the club’s official Twitter feed.
The Canaries’ star man may have flown to Aston Villa but, like the Midlands giants did when it became clear Jack Grealish was about to leave the nest, Norwich appear to have used that windfall well, reinvesting the £30 million from the sale of Emi Buendia in a number of exciting, forward-thinking additions.
If the recent 5-0 thrashing of Gillingham is anything to go by, Billy Gilmour and Pierre Lees-Melou could be outstanding signings while, in Milot Rashica, Norwich have a thrilling winger with a point to prove after an injury-wrecked 2020/21 campaign.
Rashica moved to Carrow Road from Werder Bremen and it seems he will soon be reunited with a familiar face.
Sargent set for Norwich as door opens for Armstrong at Crystal Palace
On Thursday, CBS Sports reported Norwich were in advanced talks to sign the highly rated Sargent for about £7 million.
And the USA international has been left out of Werder Bremen’s squad for this weekend’s DFB Pokal clash with VFL Osnabruck as he closes in on a move to the Premier League.
“Josh has said he isn’t in the right frame of mind to play,” said Werder sporting director Frank Baumann.
“As a result, we’ve let him go home from training.”
Although raw and rough-edged at the age of 21, Sargent is a striker of real promise.
He finished last season as top scorer of a Werder Bremen side that suffered only its second-ever relegation – and first in 41 years.
Sargent’s imminent arrival seems to suggest Blackburn Rovers talisman Adam Armstrong – who had been linked with a £15 million club-record move to East Anglia – will be heading elsewhere, with Crystal Palace and Southampton both keen.
Sky Sports claims Palace now lead the chase for the £20 million Armstrong, with a deal reported to be close.