The new Nintendo Switch OLED has been revealed, and the specs, as well as the price, have also been announced along with how to pre-order.
There were plenty of rumours about a Pro coming out this year, but the final reveal is massively disappointing as the upcoming console doesn’t perform much better. While the new screen is nice and slightly bigger, a Nintendo employee has told fans to stick with the current model if they’re not enamoured with the new screen.
Although it’s not the Pro everyone was hoping for, it will still be a worthwhile investment if you don’t already own any version of the Japanese publisher’s handheld system.
What is OLED?
OLED is a new screen for the upcoming Nintendo Switch that replaces the LCD touch screens of prior versions.
One of the differences is that the screen size is simply bigger. The new screen is 7-inches with a resolution of 1280x720p, whereas the original version’s screen is 6.2-inches.
While bigger is always better no matter what’s said in the bedroom, the biggest difference is that OLED does not have a backlight like LCD screens. Per the company’s official website, this means it “displays images using light emitted by each individual pixel”.
Simply put, expect deeper blacks and better contrast, as well as a vibrant look to your games. Oh, and as if that wasn’t enough, it also comes with a stand!
Nintendo Switch OLED specs
The Nintendo Switch OLED specs are as follows:
- Size – 4 inches high, 9.5 inches long, and 0.55 inches deep (with Joy-Con attached)
- Weight – Approximately .71 lbs (Approximately .93 lbs with Joy-Con controllers attached)
- Screen – Multi-touch capacitive touch screen / 7.0 inch OLED screen / 1280×720
- CPU/GPU – NVIDIA Custom Tegra processor
- Storage – 64 GB
- Wireless – Wi-Fi (IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac compliant) / Bluetooth 4.1
- Video output – Up to 1080p via HDMI in TV mode (Up to 720p via built-in screen in Tabletop mode and Handheld modes)
- Audio output – Compatible with 5.1ch Linear PCM output (Output via HDMI connector in TV mode)
- Speakers – Stereo
- Buttons – Power button/volume
- USB Connector – USB Type C – used for charging or connecting to dock
- Headphone/mic jack – 3.5mm 4-pole stereo (CTIA standard)
- Game card slot – Nintendo Switch game cards
- Micro SD slot – Compatible with microSD, microSDHC, and microSDXC memory cards
- Sensor – Accelerometer, gyroscope, and brightness sensor
- Operating environment – 41-95 degrees F / 20-80% humidity
- Internal battery – Lithium-ion battery / 4310mAh
- Battery life – 4.5-9 hours
- Charging time – Approximately 9 hours
Price and how to pre-order
You can pre-order the upcoming console from GAME for the price of £309.99 on its own. Either that or you can pay £349.99 to get the handheld system with Super Mario 3D World.
It’s possible that it will be out of stock, but these are the retailers with live listings as of writing.