Celtic need centre back signings this summer, and it looks like they’re closing in on landing one in the form of Rubin Kazan ace Carl Starfelt.
The Bhoys have seen Shane Duffy head back to Brighton and Hove Albion after a dismal loan spell, whilst Kristoffer Ajer is expected to move on.
Osaze Urhoghide is on board, but when you consider Christopher Jullien’s injury problems last season, it’s imperative that Celtic bring in up to three centre backs this summer.
The Sun now report that Celtic are closing in on a £4million deal for Rubin Kazan defender Starfelt, who is ‘very interested’ in signing for the Bhoys.
The Swede isn’t a big name outside of Russia or his homeland, so here are five facts for Celtic fans as they attempt to learn about their potential new man…
1. Starfelt was born in Stockholm and began his career with IF Brommapojkarna before moving on to IFK Goteborg in 2018 having established himself as one of the top defenders in Sweden.
2. After just 18 months with Goteborg, Starfelt earned his move to Russia, where he has played 42 games whilst being branded the ‘leader’ of their defence.
3. Starfelt may have missed out on Euro 2020, but he does have three caps for Sweden and boss Janne Andersson has admitted that he thinks the centre back is ‘great’ for Rubin.
4. The 26-year-old had a tough start at Rubin as Roman Shaornov often left him out, but he really began to thrive under Leonid Slutsky and his attitude in training has been compared to that of a gnawing piranha,
5. Starfelt is relatively small for a centre back at 6ft 1in tall, but he is quick, composed and could replace Ajer as a right-sided centre back to Celtic.