The Pokémon Go 5th Anniversary event has finally begun, and it gives players the chance to catch an adorable and shiny Flying Pikachu.
Niantic’s party is scheduled to last for slightly longer than a week and it offers plenty for trainers to do before it ends. Not only are there creatures to catch in the Wild such as the debuting special version of Darukuma, but there are also stickers to buy and fireworks to gawk at.
Unfortunately, there’s no birthday cake to chow down on but a Pikachu with inspiration from Pixar’s Up seems like a good enough compensation.
Is Flying Pikachu shiny in Pokémon Go?
Flying Pikachu is shiny in Pokémon Go.
It can be caught in its special form if you’re particularly lucky, but – unlike Darukuma – there’s nothing overly different about its appearance from a superficial glance. Although disappointing, trainers will still want to catch the airborne creature while they can as even a normal version is so darn cute.
How to catch Flying Pikachu in Pokémon Go
Trainers can only catch Flying Pikachu in Pokémon Go between now and 20:00 local time on July 15th.
You can capture it from the Wild, but there are lots of other creatures with boosted rates, too. These include the likes of Froaky, Charmander, Snivy, and Mudkip.
Sadly, there’s not a reward for any of the Field Research tasks. However, you can encounter it via one-star Raids alongside other first-partner Pokémon.
Lastly, you will also bag an encounter with the creature by completing the 5th Anniversary event’s Collection Challenge.
5th Anniversary event Collection Challenge
The 5th Anniversary event’s Collection Challenge requires players to catch all of the following creatures:
- Bulbasaur – Wild, Lure and Research
- Charmander – Wild, Lure and Research
- Squirtle – Wild, Lure and Research
- Chikorita – Lure, Research
- Cyndaquil – Lure, Research
- Totodile – Lure, Research
- Treecko – Wild, Lure, and Research
- Torchic – Wild, Lure and Research
- Mudkip – Wild, Lure and Research
- Turtwig – Lure, Research
- Chimchar- Lure, Research
- Piplup – Lure, Research
- Snivy – Wild, Lure and Research
- Tepig – Wild, Lure, and Research
- Oshawott – Wild, Lure and Research
- Chespin – Lure, Research, Raid
- Fennekin – Lure, Research, Raid
- Froakie – Lure, Research, Raid
- Flying Pikachu – Wild, Raid
All of the above comes courtesy of Leekduck.