Tony Mowbray is hoping that Blackburn Rovers can bring in a ‘ridiculous amount of money’ for Adam Armstrong with Everton and West Ham United expected to come calling, as reported by the Lancashire Telegraph.
If the former Newcastle youngster wanted to bow out in style at Ewood Park, he did just that on the final day of the Championship season.
A stunning treble in a 5-2 victory over Birmingham City took Armstrong’s tally for the campaign to a remarkable 29.
In total, the quicksilver striker scored three separate hat-tricks in 2020/21 – including one against Huddersfield Town as recently as April 24.
So Mowbray had a point when he said that, if Premier League scouts were not looking at Armstrong, well they should be looking for employment elsewhere.
“They’re not doing their job if they’re not looking at Adam Armstrong,” Mowbray said.
In February, the Sun reported that David Moyes’ West Ham and Carlo Ancelotti’s Everton are weighing up bids for the £25 million-rated striker.
Moyes even held talks with Mowbray earlier this year, informing the Blackburn boss of his desire to sign the 24-year-old goal-machine (LancsLive).
“That’s out of my control,” the under-fire Rovers boss added.
“For Adam’s sake let’s hope the phone rings and someone offers us a ridiculous amount of money, we shake him by the hand and we say go and bang in loads of goals in the Premier League and we’ll use some of that money in the team and can find another striker who can bang loads of goals in.”
If you don’t buy a ticket, you certainly won’t be winning any raffles.
Armstrong mustered a staggering 4.7 shots per game in the Championship, far more than second-placed Teemu Pukki (3.3), according to WhoScored.
So while the Blackburn talisman can be rightly proud of his exploits this season, the underlying figures suggest that he can reach even loftier heights. A scary thought for defenders everywhere.