Photo by James Williamson – AMA/Getty Images

Reported Leeds and West Ham United target Matthew Sorinola has had his “head turned” by transfer speculation, MK Dons coach Russell Martin has told the MK Citizen.

One of the breakthrough stars of the 2020/21 Football League campaign, the rapid rise of the 19-year-old left-back hasn’t gone unnoticed higher up the ladder.

Before Christmas, TEAMtalk reported West Ham, Newcastle, West Bromwich Albion and Burnley were all keen to hand Sorinola a chance in the Premier League.

Your Club’s Last EMBARRASSING Defeat (From Least To Most Recent)

brid
826629
Your Club’s Last EMBARRASSING Defeat (From Least To Most Recent)
/static/uploads/2021/01/709984_t_1611942768.jpg
709984
center

As did a Leeds side who, despite the best efforts of the versatile Stuart Dallas and all-action Gjanni Alioski, don’t have a natural left full-back in Marcelo Bielsa’s squad.

Former Fulham youngster Sorinola has been in and out of the MK Dons team in recent weeks but rediscovered some form in Saturday’s clash with bitter rivals AFC Wimbledon, scoring the second in a 2-0 away win.

And, as it stands, it seems unlikely the teenager will leave Stadium MK before tonight’s 11pm transfer deadline – even if Sorinola has been slightly distracted by all the talk surrounding his future.

“I don’t think he has been advised very well,” says former Rangers and Norwich City defender Martin. “He’s a fantastic boy with a great attitude whose head has no doubt been turned in the last month, no doubt about it.

Photo by Richard Heathcote/Getty Images

“I won’t be unfair and hold it against him. I think this is the best place for him – other people don’t.

“As it stands, he’s our player. We want him to stay. We’ve offered him a new contract but we have to see how things go in the next three days and after that.

“We put a lot of trust and faith in Matty and he has real potential – but at this stage, it is still potential.”

Championship clubs Brentford, Bournemouth and Middlesbrough have also been linked with Sorinola.

But, according to Martin, MK Dons have yet to receive a single official offer since the transfer window opened four weeks ago.

Photo by George Wood/Getty Images