Darren Bent said on talkSPORT (5:51pm, January 22, 2021) that Danny Ings should not leave Southampton for Tottenham Hotspur.
The former Tottenham striker believes that Ings would not get much playing time if he joined Jose Mourinho’s side, pointing out that Harry Kane is the main striker at the North London club.
According to Eurosport, Tottenham are interested in signing the former Liverpool striker in the summer of 2021.
It has been reported that with the 28-year-old yet to agree a new deal with Southampton, Spurs are considering making a bid for the England international at the end of the season.
Bent said about Ings on talkSPORT (5:51pm, January 22, 2021): “For me, I don’t think it would be (a good move), no, just because of the sheer fact that he is Southampton’s main man, he has scored a lot of goals for Southampton, he has played very, very well.
“He is their, as I said, main man. We know who Tottenham’s main man is, and he plays a lot of games, Harry Kane.”
Potential dilemma for Danny Ings
If Tottenham make a bid for Ings in the summer of 2021, then the striker will be in a dilemma.
Kane is one of the best strikers in the world and will be the main guy upfront. Son Heung-min has developed into an important source of goals for Spurs, while Carlos Vinicius is on loan.
Ings has been superb for the Saints – who had to pay £20 million in transfer fee for him, according to BBC Sport – in recent times, scoring seven goals and providing three assists in the Premier League so far this season and scoring 22 goals and giving two assists in the league in 2019-20, according to WhoScored.
The striker is a key player at Southampton, but Tottenham are a bigger club, challenge for the Premier League title, and play in Europe on a consistent basis.