West Ham United boss David Moyes has told the London Evening Standard that a bid has indeed gone in for Sevilla striker Youssef En-Nesyri.
The Hammers sold Sebastien Haller to Ajax earlier this month in a shock, somewhat sudden deal, with £20million coming into the club.
That was a huge close on Haller, but the focus must now be on finding a replacement given that Michail Antonio – who has endured injury problems this season – has little cover behind him.
A new name emerged on Monday, as The Athletic reported that a deal worth around £27million had been submitted for Sevilla’s Youssef En-Nesyri.
SPORT later reported that Sevilla had rejected that offer, though talks are still ongoing for a deal that the Standard describe as being ‘unlikely’.
The 23-year-old has hit 12 goals in 25 games for Sevilla this season, offering physicality at 6ft 2in tall whilst also being quick and versatile enough to play out wide.
A Moroccan international, En-Nesyri seems to fit what West Ham want, but with £27million not good enough, it seems difficult for the Hammers to strike a deal.
Moyes has now admitted that a bid has been submitted for En-Nesyri, but there are offers in for ‘three or four really good players’, and there may even be no signings at all due to the price tags involved.
“He’s not the only one we’ve bid for,” said Moyes. “We’ve bid for others. We’ve really knocked on the door of three of four really good players which we think would have helped us if we’d got them. We’ve not been able to do that but we’re trying to keep our business private if we can because we don’t want to speculate on which players we could be signing.”
“I’ve tried really hard to get something to add to it. But I’m having to caveat that by saying there’s a strong chance we don’t get anyone, which is the truth,” he added.