Mondays and January blues are bad enough separate, but today, January 18th marks ‘Blue Monday’ — beat the day with some positive quotes to share on your Instagram.
Every year, the third Monday of January is dubbed ‘Blue Monday’, marking what is said to be the most depressing day of the year.
The day was decided by psychologist Cliff Arnall in 2004, after holiday company SkyTravel asked him to create a formula for the January blues.
The formula included variables like ‘time since Christmas’, ‘weather’, ‘debt level’ and ‘time since failure to keep new year’s resolutions’.
Is ‘Blue Monday’ a real thing?
Although the day is regularly acknowledged, it’s also widely disputed, and the very man who coined it has even back-tracked on its eligibility.
In 2013, Cliff Arnall told The Daily Telegraph that the formula was essentially pseudoscience and urged people to ignore the whole notion of the day.
Many have also acknowledged that the day was essentially created as a PR stunt, to market treating yourself to beat ‘Blue Monday’. While others have dubbed it pseudoscience, noting that the equation used to calculate the day was essentially “nonsense” and “unscientific”.
Positive ‘Blue Monday’ quotes to share on Instagram
Regardless of whether or not the day is credible, those who have found themselves feeling lower than usual today may find these uplifting quotes useful—or share one around to spread some cheer to those needing it.
For a positive spin on the day
- “Don’t let a day of the week have so much power over your happiness. Happy Monday!” – Andrea L’Artiste
- “Mondays are the start of the work week which offer new beginnings 52 times a year!” – David Dweck
- “Your Monday morning thoughts set the tone for your whole week. See yourself getting stronger, and living a fulfilling, happier and healthier life.“ – Germany Kent
A little bit of positivity for Blue Monday:
- “You Learn More From Failure Than From Success. Don’t Let It Stop You. Failure Builds Character.”
- “In every day, there are 1,440 minutes. That means we have 1,440 daily opportunities to make a positive impact.” – Les Brown
- “The sun himself is weak when he first rises, and gathers strength and courage as the day gets on.” – Charles Dickins
- “Every day may not be good… but there’s something good in every day.” – Alice Morse Earle
A quote for if you’re feeling paticularly blue:
- “Tides don’t last forever and when they go, they leave behind beautiful seashells.”
- “Every problem has a solution. There’s ALWAYS a way to fix something. So rest assured, all the right solutions will become known to you soon.” – Steven Wolff
- “You can cut all the flowers but you cannot keep spring from coming.” – Pablo Neruda