Photo by James Williamson – AMA/Getty Images

Peterborough United are sticking to their guns on the future of reported Celtic, Wolves and Newcastle United target Siriki Dembele, director of football Barry Fry told the Peterborough Telegraph.

For all those bemoaning the rise of ‘player power’ in the modern game, Peterborough’s reluctance to roll over and let Dembele get his own way must feel like something of a ‘punch the air’ moment.

Outspoken owner Darragh MacAnthony confirmed last week that the 24-year-old attacking midfielder had handed in a transfer request amid interest from clubs in the Championship and the Premier League.

Planning for the future: Where Celtic go from here

brid
806289
Planning for the future: Where Celtic go from here
/static/uploads/2021/01/702313_t_1610541192.jpg
702313
center

Wolves, Crystal Palace, Derby County and Queens Park Rangers are among Dembele’s many suitors, while TEAMtalk claim that the former Grimsby Town youngster could join his younger brother Karamoko at Celtic.

But, for Fry, the situation remains unchanged.

Unless someone is willing to make an offer Peterborough cannot refuse – with MacAnthony suggesting that he wants £15 million for one of League One’s biggest stars – Dembele will not be going anywhere.

“Our line remains the same. We are not interested in losing our best players in January,” Fry said.

Photo by Lewis Storey/Getty Images

Embattled Newcastle boss Steve Bruce watched Dembele in the flesh late last year (Chronicle).

After watching his sliding Magpies side fail to find the net for the fifth time in six games during Tuesday’s grim 1-0 defeat at Sheffield United, expect Bruce to step up his pursuit of a creator capable of giving Callum Wilson the service he so badly needs.

Photo by Michael Regan/Getty Images

In other news, Report: Jamie Barjonas in talks to leave Rangers, months after Gerrard praise