Celtic have used three different keepers so far this season
Conor Hazard may be the current first choice, but Celtic’s goalkeeping situation is far from settled.
£5m was spent on acquiring Greek keeper Vasilis Barkas in the summer, but he has failed to live up to expectations.
That opened up a window of opportunity for Scott Bain, but the former Dundee man failed to become a regular.
Conor Hazard has been given the nod in recent weeks, but the 22-year-old has yet to prove himself. He earned plaudits with his vital penalty saves in the shootout against Hearts at Hampden, but after extra time Chris Sutton told Premier Sports viewers that the keeper had endured a “nightmare”.
Speculation regarding a third spell at the club for Fraser Forster refuses to go away. The Englishman returned to parent club Southampton in the summer despite Neil Lennon’s efforts to keep him, but has failed to make a single appearance for the Saints this season.
With Celtic 16 points behind Rangers as they attempt to win 10-in-a-row, there is pressure on Lennon to resolve the goalkeeping issue.
In a post on Twitter, Radio Clyde Sports Editor Alison Conroy has said that Lennon is not looking to sign a goalkeeper in the January window.
She reports that the Celtic manager has no targets for January “as yet” but is “looking at options”.
Conroy quotes Lennon as saying: “At the minute I’m quite content.”
Hazard is expected to get the nod again on Wednesday night when Celtic play host to Dundee United, in their final match before Saturday’s crucial trip to Ibrox.