The Charlton Athletic director of football Steve Gallen has reiterated his side’s stance on the Celtic linked left-sider Alfie Doughty.
London News Online reported earlier this week that Charlton will try again to extend Doughty’s contract beyond the end of next summer and end any hope of a cut-price move for Celtic.
The 20-year-old is said to have been the subject of numerous bids from the Bhoys before the October transfer deadline, as well as one from Fulham.
The Daily Record claimed on Thursday that Doughty may have played his final game for Charlton, having suffered a hamstring injury which could keep him out for the next four months.
The suggestion was that Celtic could use the Londoner’s setback and contract uncertainty to sign him on the cheap in January.
Failing that, Doughty will be free to discuss a pre-contract deal with clubs outside of England from the New Year.
But, on the back of Lee Bowyer’s expression of hope that Doughty will commit to Charlton, Gallen told London News Online: “We’re going to offer him another contract and I’ve told him and his representatives that.
“I told him that during the window. I said: ‘Give me a bit of time – I will come back to you. Let me focus on getting players in, but after that we will make you an offer’.
“Thomas Sandgaard [the Charlton owner] wants Alfie to stay. So does Bow [Bowyer, the manager], myself and the fans. Everyone does.
“We’ll try and find a way forward. We’ll have to improve his contract to extend his contract.”
Doughty can operate equally well at left-midfield or left-back – the latter a position currently occupied by the on-loan Diego Laxalt at Celtic.