Charlton Athletic fans are reacting to reports their side are set to offer a new contract to the Celtic linked left-sider Alfie Doughty.
According to London News Online, Charlton will try again to extend Doughty’s contract beyond the end of next summer and end any hope of a cut-price move for Celtic.
The 20-year-old is said to have been the subject of numerous bids from the Bhoys before the October transfer deadline, as well as one from Fulham.
The Daily Record claimed earlier on Thursday that Doughty may have played his final game for Charlton, having suffered a hamstring injury which could keep him out for the next four months.
The suggestion was that Celtic could use the Londoner’s setback and contract uncertainty to sign him on the cheap in January.
Failing that, Doughty will be free to discuss a pre-contract deal with clubs outside of England from the New Year.
But tying down the Addicks academy product would swipe Celtic’s legs from under them.
And the Charlton manager Lee Bowyer told London News Online he is hopeful of a successful outcome.
“We’ve just got to see where we’re at with Alfie and his agent but we’re hopeful that we can get something done there,” he said.
“Like I’ve said before, this is the right place for him to be at the moment – especially with his injury as well now.
“He needs to focus on just getting back and having that security behind him, I think. Hopefully we can get that one done.”
This is what those of a Charlton persuasion have had to say on Twitter…
Doughty can operate equally well at left-midfield or left-back – the latter a position currently occupied by the on-loan Diego Laxalt at Celtic.