Instagram has introduced a new feature where you can change your app icon to any of the ones that have been used over the past 10 years – here’s how to do it.
Believe it or not, Instagram is now 10 years old, with the photo-sharing social media app being launched on October 6th, 2020. To celebrate this huge anniversary, the app is doing something pretty special, and you’ll definitely want to join in on the fun.
Instagram has introduced the ability to change your icon to any of the icons that the app has ever used, taking your phone back to OG Instagram.
If you want to give it a try, here’s exactly how you can change your icon. And don’t worry, you can change it back whenever you like!
How to change your app icon
- Open Instagram and go to your profile.
- Click on the three lines in the top left-hand corner of the screen.
- Press settings.
- Pull your whole screen down.
- You should see a series of emoji’s and then lots of confetti will fly across the screen.
- Choose the app icon you want to use.
How many icons are there to choose from?
When people think of old Instagram logos there’s one that always comes to mind, the classic brown camera photo. Whilst this is certainly the most memorable, there’s actually a lot more logos that Instagram has tested out over the years.
Here are all the ones you can change your icon to with the dates the logos were first introduced:
- Current: 11 May 2016 (normal yellow and purple ombre)
- Classic 2: 31 August 2011 (newer brown camera)
- Classic: 27 Oct 2010 (original brown camera)
- Original: 6 Oct 2010 (first ever Instagram logo)
- Codename: 2010 (the icon used before the app was launched)
- Twilight: (pink and blue ombre)
- Sunrise: (orange and red ombre)
- Aurora: (blue and green ombre)
- Pride: (rainbow)
- Gold: (gold ombre)
- Dark: (black with white logo)
- Light: (white with black logo)
- Very dark: (black with black logo)
Why has Instagram introduced this feature?
Instagram has introduced the ability to change your app icon to celebrate its 10th anniversary.
When you navigate to the change icon page, the title of the page says “celebrate with us” alongside an image of a cupcake. The app then says:
“To celebrate our birthday, this month we’re inviting you to change your app icon to your favourite below. Thanks for being part of our story and using Instagram to share yours.”