Victor Fernandez has never played a Premier League game for Newcastle United but he has been ‘unplayable’ for the Under 23s.

Newcastle United manager Steve Bruce has admitted that Victor Fernandez has caught his eye with some impressive displays for the U23s, with the young Spaniard eyeing a long-awaited first-team debut for the Magpies, in quotes reported by the Chronicle.

Ten games into the Premier League season, Newcastle have scored just five goals but the problems do not begin and end with struggling record signing Joelinton.

The £40 million Joelinton has averaged less than three shots per game so far with the likes of Miguel Almiron, Allan Saint-Maximin and Christian Atsu failing to provide the kind of service he is so clearly crying out for.

So it is no surprise really that Fernandez, a skilful attacking midfielder with an eye for a cutting pass, has caught Bruce’s eye.

“Yeah,” the manager said when asked if he’d been impressed by the 21-year-old during Monday’s 2-2 U23 draw with Middlesbrough.

“But there’s two or three that you always keep an eye on. When we get them up occasionally you take a look.”

Fernandez has struggled with injuries over the last two years but he has been nothing short of a revelation since returning to action.

“He was mercurial. In the first half he was unplayable, it was like tackling smoke,” U23 coach Neil Redfearn told The Chronicle after Fernandez tore local rivals Sunderland apart in a recent reserve clash.

“They couldn’t get near him.”

Fernandez has never played a single game at senior level but, with Bruce desperate for results, could he turn to a never-before-seen youngster with Newcastle nearing yet another crisis?

In other news, Report: Liverpool have fears over three players, including Xherdan Shaqiri