Tottenham Hotspur failed to land Sporting’s Bruno Fernandes this summer.
Tottenham Hotspur managed to sign Real Betis playmaker Giovani Lo Celso on deadline day last month, but he was far from the only creative midfielder linked with a move to North London.
A host of number 10’s were touted for moves to Tottenham, and whilst Lo Celso arrived, fans were possibly more excited by the likes of Philippe Coutinho and Paulo Dybala being linked.
Another name in the frame was Sporting playmaker Bruno Fernandes, who was simply sensational last season with a staggering 32 goals and 18 assists from attacking midfield.
Many expected the 24-year-old to move on as a result of his heroics last season, but the European deadline passed on Monday without him making a big move.
Fernandes has though told GQ Portugal that he had agreed to join Tottenham, but Sporting couldn’t agree a deal, so he ended up staying with the Lisbon side.
Tottenham fans may still hope that a move for Fernandes is possible in 2020, especially with Christian Eriksen potentially moving on, and Sporting president Frederico Varandas has shed some light on the situation.
Varandas has told Sporting’s official website that he was preparing to sell Fernandes as it seemed ‘impossible’ to keep him, but Tottenham were the only one to really come in strong for him.
However, whilst the deal totalled €65million (£58.5million), it was €45million and then €20million if Spurs win the Premier League and the Champions League, with Varandas seemingly viewing Daniel Levy’s add-ons ‘difficult’.
“It was ‘impossible’ to retain Bruno Fernandes, but we did it,” said Varandas. “We prepared for his sale by putting a fair price on his worth, and we had bids, but only a serious offer from Tottenham, that was 45 million euros plus 20 million in add-ons; winning the Premier League and the Champions League. Finding these add-ons difficult, I decided not to accept. ”