Michael Fagan made it into Buckingham Palace, but what exactly happened to him after?

Understanding a man like Michael Fagan is harder than breaking into Buckingham Palace, clearly. 

Every so often, a news item comes along that you really struggle to wrap your head around. Why did they do it? How did they do it? Well, in 1982, the British public and beyond all had their eyes on the ongoing account of Fagan’s perplexing entry into none other than Buckingham Palace. 

It was absolutely unheard of, and since, it’s become a great deal harder to penetrate. Still, it’s baffling that he managed to pull it off, but perhaps more bizarre is that people are still trying to attempt it…

The latest Buckingham Palace incident

The BBC reports that a man has been arrested after climbing over the palace’s front gates in the middle of the night on Wednesday, 10th July 2019. 

The Metropolitan Police Service said that royal officers held the 22-year-old on suspicion of trespass at roughly 02:00 BST, while a spokeswoman has confirmed that the Queen was present in the residence during the time of the incident. It has been noted that the man wasn’t in possession of a weapon and currently remains in custody.

NO TIME TO DIE | Trailer 2

It’s uncertain if the Queen is aware of what transpired, as no officials have yet offered insight. However, some people believe that the man was copying Fagan, thanks to both incidents essentially taking place on the same day thirty-seven years apart.  


He did what!?

Whether or not this is the case hasn’t been confirmed, but it sure is a strange coincidence if it, in fact, happens to be one. 

As highlighted on the incident’s Wikipedia page, in 1982, a 33-year-old, unemployed Fagan scaled Buckingham Palace’s perimeter at 7:00 am and proceeded to climb up a drainpipe to gain access; an alarm triggered but police believed it to be faulty.

After wandering around and breaking an ashtray, he is believed to have entered the Queen’s bedroom around 7:15 am with a broken piece of glass (from the ashtray).

In an interview with The Independent back in 2012, he reflected on the experience; “I was scareder than I’d ever been in my life,” he recalls. “Then she speaks and it’s like the finest glass you can imagine breaking: ‘Wawrt are you doing here?!'” He says she asked him this and then fled out of the room.  

What happened to Michael Fagan?

Although the security breach was simply unprecedented, it couldn’t have been orchestrated by a more surprising individual.

He claims to have tried breaking in the month before, though it didn’t go to plan. Interestingly, his entry wasn’t a crime at the time and only became one in 2007. However, he was admitted to a psychiatric hospital for six months.

Apart from the 2012 interviews, nothing has been heard from the strange Michael Fagan; he’ll be seventy years old now, as there have been no reports of death.

In other news, what was the Ed Sheeran song in Yesterday?