Spider-Man: Far From Home Easter Eggs - Cap's Shield, The Beatles and more!

Spider Man: Far From Home

Avengers: Endgame may still be fresh in the mind for many but Spider-Man: Far From Home is here and packs plenty of references and easter eggs

Spider-Man: Far From Home has swung its way into cinemas at long last and is the perfect antidote to those post-Avengers: Endgame blues.

The more light-hearted Far From Home sees Peter Parker embark on a new globetrotting adventure that sees Spider-Man cross continents to help save the world once again.

And, as you can probably expect, there are plenty of nods and references dotted throughout the film.

What's Spider-Man: Far From Home all about?

With the world still coming to terms with the aftermath of Avengers: Endgame, including the tragic death of Tony Stark, Peter Parker is feeling the need to take a break from his superhero work and is hoping to enjoy his school trip to Europe.

However, Peter's plans are quickly curtailed by the mysterious arrival of the Elementals, a group of towering monsters hellbent on laying waste to Earth.

Parker is recruited by non-other than Nick Fury to help deal with the situation alongside the enigmatic Quentin Beck, aka. Mysterio.

Spider-Man Far From Home New Posters

Easter Eggs in Far From Home

The Multiverse

In the trailers for Spider-Man: Far From Home, we're first introduced to the concept of a multiverse existing in the MCU.

Apparently, Mysterio is from an alternate universe to our own, with its own Earth which was supposedly destroyed by the Elementals.

The dimension Quentin Beck claims to be from is Earth-833 while our reality is Earth-616. As it just so happens, Earth-833 is the stomping ground for Spider-Man UK, which is rather appropriate given the film's London-based climax.

The reference to a multiverse couldn't come at a better time either with the recent release of the Oscar-winning Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - The whole gang

Mysterio's Origins

Thankfully, for die-hard fans of the iconic Spider-Man villain Mysterio, the character wasn't changed all that much for his adaptation into the MCU, unlike The Mandarin in Iron Man 3. 

However, while his character stayed fairly close to the source material, Mysterio's origins have been tweaked to incorporate him into the MCU.

It works well as it transpires that Quentin Beck is a disgruntled former Stark employee whose groundbreaking life's work, the hologram technology we see in Captain America: Civil War, was renamed BARF by Tony Stark. Whereas in other adaptations, Mysterio is a failed Hollywood magician who is seeking fame once again. 

Spider-Man: Far From Home dir. Jon Watts 2019

Happy Hogan's Captain America Shield

Drawing arguably one of the biggest laughs of the film is Happy Hogan's attempt at throwing a shield like Captain America. 

During the climactic final encounter, Happy and Peter's friends are trapped inside the Tower of London and in an effort to fight off the approaching killer drones, Happy lobs an ancient shield at one of the drones only to watch it plummet to the floor, leaving Happy to exclaim: "How does Cap do it?"

Spider Man Far From Home Happy Hogan

Spidey Outfits

While most Spider-Man films see New York's webhead swinging around in his traditional Red and Blue suit, Far From Home sees Spider-Man donning several new suits.

We see the classic Spider-Man suit from Homecoming, the gorgeous Iron Spider suit from Avengers: Infinity War and Endgame. 

However, Far From Home sees two new outfits added to Spidey's wardrobe. The new-look Red and Black suit designed especially by Peter Parker himself and the new Stealth Suit which has a hint of Spider-Man Noir behind it.

Both new suits, as well as the Homecoming and Iron Spider suits, are available to use on the Spider-Man PS4 game. 

Spider Man Far From Home Upgraded Suit PS4

Peter Tingle

In Spider-Man: Far From Home, Aunt May and Happy Hogan both make hilarious reference to what they call Spider-Man's 'Peter Tingle'.

They are, of course, referring to Spider-Man's iconic and often tingling 'Spidey sense' but in the MCU, it's clearly not found a name of its own yet.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - Peter's Spider-Man

Teasing Phase 4

In the opening moments of Spider-Man: Far From Home, we see Peter back at school and everyone there is recovering from the events of Avengers: Infinity War and Endgame.

Part of this scene sees the comically awful student news programme discussing the effects of Thanos's snap, now being known as 'The Blip.'

As part of this conversation, Betty Brant mentions that it's time for all the students to start a 'new phase' of their lives, clearly a nod to the MCU's various phases.

Spider Man Far From Home Ned And Betty

Peter's 'BFP' Suitcase

While Peter's packing his suitcase for his impending trip to Europe, we can just make out the initials on the case, these are BFP - standing for Benjamin Franklin Parker, a clear nod to Peter's Uncle Ben.

While we never see Uncle Ben in the MCU Spider-Man films, he clearly existed at some point but as we've seen that origins story so many times now, telling it again would've been tiresome. 

Spider Man Far From Home Peter's Suitcase

In-flight Entertainment

During the flight from New York to Venice, we see Peter checking out the in-flight entertainment.

Amongst the selection available are a collection of Avengers-themed documentaries including one titled 'Finding Wakanda' and another documentary celebrating Tony Stark after Iron Man's recent death in Avengers: Endgame.

It's something which Peter obviously avoids watching due to his close connection with Tony Stark.

Magical Mysterio Tour

Michael Giacchino returns to compose the score for Spider-Man: Far From Home and does a superb job at bringing together lots of recognisable themes from across the MCU and past Spider-Man films. 

One thing to note are the titles for the tracks in the soundtrack. My personal favourite being the reference to the Beatles song Magical Mystery Tour. 

J. Jonah Jameson

Long-time Spider-Man fans got a moment to truly savour in the first of Far From Home's post-credits scenes when J. Jonah Jameson, played by non-other than J.K. Simmons, made his debut appearance in the MCU.

It may only have been a small cameo but his presence in the film was certainly welcome.

Spider Man JK Simmons As J Jonah Jameson

Skrulls

The second post-credits scene in Spider-Man: Far From Home reveals Nick Fury and Maria Hill to have been Skrulls all throughout the film. The real Nick Fury was actually revealed to be on a Skrull spaceship somewhere in deep space.

The surprising twist leaves us with lots of questions but it's a nice nod to the MCU's other film that came out this year, Captain Marvel.

As it happens, the two Skrulls we see in the post-credits scene are Talos and his wife Soren who both featured heavily in Captain Marvel.

Captain Marvel Skrull Drinking Soda Pulp Fiction Reference

S.H.I.E.L.D. and S.W.O.R.D.

And finally, we come to the reason why Nick Fury was out in space in the first place.

We're all very familiar with the alien-fighting organisation known as SHIELD which has featured frequently in the MCU but the second post-credits scene could have hinted at SHIELD's comic comrade, SWORD. 

Rather than protecting the earth like SHIELD, SWORD sees humanity striking out at threats that may cause harm to humanity. What we could've seen in said post-credits scenes was Nick Fury on a mission for this new SWORD organisation.

Spider Man Far From Home Nick Fury

In the meantime, Spider-Man: Far From Home swung its way into cinemas on July 2nd, 2019 and it's well worth a watch if you're looking to quench your thirst for more superhero action after Avengers: Endgame.

Have something to tell us about this article?