Just three days after Rafa Silva’s agent claimed that Newcastle United wanted to sign the Benfica winger, the Portuguese international has instead decided to sign a three-year deal with the Primeira Liga leaders, according to Public.
Benfica’s £14 million record signing has enjoyed an exceptional season at the Estadio da Luz, scoring 19 goals in all competitions to fire The Eagles to the top of the table as they look to reclaim a trophy won by bitter rivals Porto last year.
And Antonio Araujo, Silva’s agent, suggested that a move to England was on the cards.
“[Newcastle] is one of the interested parties, they are one of the interested ones,” he told Radio Renascenca on Tuesday.
But the excitement didn’t last long. It has taken just 72 hours for Newcastle’s hope to turn into disappointment with Silva instead committing his future to the club he joined from Braga three years ago.
According to Public, the 25-year-old has signed a three-year contract extension at Benfica, committing his long-term future to Bruno Lage’s side.
"The agreement was reached, it was what the club and Rafa intended. What I can say is that the player is happy, the club was also satisfied and we go forward,” Araujo said.
Newcastle might have viewed Silva as a potential replacement for star forward Ayoze Perez, who was linked with a £25 million move to Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur this week by FC Inter News.
Have something to tell us about this article?