Hull City’s last two results have seen the club fall away from the Championship’s playoff race – a situation which may have alerted Tottenham Hotspur following their recent links to attacker Jarrod Bowen.
According to a report in The Sun during the January transfer window, Tottenham were said to be willing to pay £15 million for the talented Bowen with Hull holding out for a £20 million figure instead.
The 22-year-old ultimately remained at the KCOM Stadium with the transfer window shutting on January 31, but since then Hull’s chances of keeping the player have no doubt decreased.
Nigel Adkins’s side had risen up the Championship table following eight wins in 11, putting them on the cusp of the top six ahead of their trip to fellow playoff challengers Derby County last weekend.
Their only real hope of keeping Bowen is to earn promotion to the Premier League, but that now looks an almost impossible task following their defeat against the Rams and Tuesday’s disappointing 2-2 draw with Rotherham United.
Hull found themselves 2-0 up thanks to goals from Bowen and Fraizer Campbell (Campbell’s goal may end up being confirmed as Bowen’s as it appeared he got the final touch), but a second-half collapse saw the Millers rescue a point.
The Tigers are back down in 12th in the table, six points adrift of the top six with both Derby (seventh) and Boro (sixth) holding two games in hand ahead of Wednesday night’s fixtures.
Bowen has been a revelation this season, recording 16 league goals and three assists in 31 starts as a right attacking winger for a side expected to fight against relegation.
Spurs are renowned for buying young players and developing them accordingly. Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino was said to have wanted the player in January, but they now may find a Hull side facing another Championship campaign an easier prospect to deal with this coming summer.