Newcastle United boss Rafael Benitez has told The Chronicle that a deal for Mainz forward Yoshinori Muto is 'done' and only awaiting a work permit, adding that he doesn't see any problem with him.
Benitez has been largely frustrated in the transfer market this summer, but has brought back loanees Martin Dubravka and Kenedy, with Dubravka arriving permanently this time, whilst Fabian Schar and Ki Sung-yueng have arrived in bargain deals.
Benitez has been desperate for a striker though, and reports earlier this week suggested that a deal for Mainz forward Yoshinori Muto was close, before the Bundesliga club announced talks were progressing well.
Newcastle announced on Friday that a deal has now been agreed, but the Magpies still need to land Muto a work permit in order to finalise the move, meaning they face a little wait yet.
Muto, 26, hit eight goals in 27 Bundesliga games last season, and featured for Japan at this summer's World Cup in Russia, having proven himself as a versatile forward in Germany.
Clever enough to play off a striker but quick enough to run in behind, Muto can be used in a number of ways by Benitez, who spoke about the move on Saturday night.
Benitez confirmed to The Chronicle that the deal being official is just one step away with the work permit application ongoing, but added his praise for Muto, suggesting that he doesn't see any problem with him as he has quality, energy, movement and intensity.
“Muto is done but it’s just waiting for the work permit. He played in the World Cup in a good team,” said Benitez. “He has done well in the Bundesliga so we are talking about a striker that is doing well in the last few years at international level.”
“He has quality and can bring us energy and good movement plus the intensity you need. I don’t see any problem with him,” he added.
Have something to tell us about this article?