Sheffield Wednesday are yet to sign anybody this summer.
Sheffield Wednesday boss Jos Luhukay has told reporters that he plans on trimming the squad further and hopes to have around 24 or 25 senior players come the end of the transfer window, the Sheffield Star report.
The Owls haven’t signed anybody yet this summer, while the current senior squad is closer to 30 in numbers while there are several academy products pushing through for a regular first-team squad spot.
Speaking to the Sheffield Star, Luhukay says he believes the Owls will have maybe 24 or 25 squad players come the transfer deadline while hinting that injuries have been a cause of the current large squad.
"I think at the end we will have maybe 24 to 25 players. Normally, you always have one, two or three players who are maybe injured. I hope we don't have the problem we had with injuries last year when I came to Sheffield,” the Dutchman explained.
Luhukay’s comments make for interesting read, while it prompts the question as to who else could be moved out of Hillsborough this summer and whether the club will look to make any new signings at all.
Jack Hunt (Bristol City) and Jordan Rhodes (Norwich City on loan) have already departed, but the squad is still heavy in numbers in certain areas and not everybody can be expected to feature regularly.
The Owls have three top goalkeepers in Kieren Westwood, Cameron Dawson and Joe Wildsmith, while upfront Sam Winnall, Fernando Forestieri, Gary Hooper, Lucas Joao, Atdhe Nuhiu and Steven Fletcher are all seemingly vying for one of two spots.
With Financial Fair Play an obvious issue, Wednesday seemingly still need to lower their wage bill and move players on regardless – but whether any replacements come in remains to be seen.
The Championship club must strengthen the defence following the departures of Glenn Loovens and Frederico Venancio, but any arrival may depend entirely on getting more players out the door first.