The 16-year-old is reportedly going to be selected for the first team pre-season tour.
According to the Manchester Evening News, 16-year-old academy player Mason Greenwood will be included in the squad for Manchester United’s first team pre-season tour to the United States.
The report says Greenwood has not traveled with the academy squad on their tour to Australia and has stayed at Carrington with a number of other young players, including James Garner, whose father confirmed he would be in the pre-season tour earlier this week.
Marcus Rashford and Romelu Lukaku are both still involved in the World Cup in Russia, meaning there will be an opportunity for young forwards to make an impact on the tour to the States later this month.
More than just a poacher, Greenwood has played both centre forward and number 10 and has tormented defences this year with his combination of cool composure, amazing control, and two great feet.
Mason Greenwood pic.twitter.com/WodGsVcOEn— Bas (@MxZvGx) June 9, 2018
But who is the young United prospect that has caused such a stir? And why is he reportedly getting his chance with the first team?
1) Still just 16 years-old, Greenwood hasn’t signed a professional contract yet and will likely turn professional when he turns 17 in October.
2) A talented striker who is great with both feet, United coach Clayton told the Manchester Evening News that Greenwood is the first player he has ever seen take both free-kicks and penalties with his wrong foot.
3) The young forward has been on fire for the U18s this season, scoring 16 goals in 18 appearances and helping them to win the Premier League North.
4) On top of his league success, Greenwood grabbed four goals in the Dallas Cup in March, helping his side reach the semi-finals.
5) The Englishman has represented his country at both U15 and U17 level.