Diafra Sakho left West Ham in the January transfer window, joining Ligue 1 side Rennes.

Diafra Sakho has told France Football that “it was a bit more complicated” after he suffered an injury at West Ham United before moving to French side Rennes last month.

The 28-year-old moved back to France last month to join Ligue 1 side Rennes, where he has hit the ground running with a goal on his debut against Paris Saint-Germain and already earning a starting slot in the side.

However, he was the centre of criticism during the latter stages of his Hammers career, as question marks surrounded his intentions as he entered the final year of his contract at the London Stadium.

Speaking on the move, Sakho kept it short and sweet but looked back on his time in east London with pride, in a three-and-a-half-year spell that included scoring six goals in his first six games and winning the October 2014 Player of the Month award.

“I scored six in my first six games, a record match (note: he shares this record with Mick Quinn),” Sakho said. “It was a great pleasure. Just like being voted player of the month in October in the Championship.

“I also remember my goal in Liverpool, the club had not won there for 52 years (3-0). Then I got hurt, and it was a bit more complicated.”

The former Metz forward missed the majority of the 2016-17 campaign due to a back injury and although he did return to the side, the signings of Javier Hernandez and Marko Arnautovic pushed him further down the pecking order.

In a relationship between club and player that grew far apart, Sakho will be looking to prove to the Hammers that they were wrong to sell him with his next game coming on Saturday against Caen.

In other news, Thomas Doll backs Timo Werner for Liverpool move