Kenny Miller and Jon Toral score as Rangers beat Partick Thistle

New Rangers manager Pedro Caixinha during the press conference

Goals from Kenny Miller and Jon Toral either side of half-time earned Rangers a 2-0 win over Partick Thistle.

The home side opened the scoring six minutes before the interval when Kenny Miller headed in from a centre by James Tavernier and Jon Toral doubled the Rangers lead early in the second half from a pass by Emerson Hyndman to seal the three points. Rangers are now five games unbeaten under Pedro Caixinha’s stewardship ahead of next Sunday’s Scottish Cup semi-final against Celtic.

Aberdeen sealed their place in the Europa League next season and maintained their nine-point lead over Rangers as they vie for second place with a 2-1 victory at St Johnstone. A fine strike from Ryan Christie and a Tam Scobbie own-goal was the difference between the two sides.

Christie gave the visitors the lead after 19 minutes with a superb solo effort when he beat two Saints defenders before firing in. The Dons doubled their lead when Scobbie scored an own goal after 32 minutes, deflecting the ball in from a dangerous Jonny Hayes cross.


Danny Swanson brought the home side back into the game with a penalty on 48 minutes after Anthony O’Connor upended Steven MacLean, but it was not enough to deny Aberdeen.

Dundee slipped into the bottom two after a 2-0 defeat at home to Hamilton Alejandro D’Acol opened the scoring from the penalty spot after Dougie Imrie had been brought down in the area. Accies then wrapped up the points with six minutes remaining through Mike Devlin.

Motherwell beat the bottom side Inverness 4-2 to move up to 10th. Chris Cadden and Louis Moult, with his 16th goal of the season, had Motherwell two up after 10 minutes before a goal in either half from Alex Fisher restored parity. ‘Well were back in front when Scott McDonald’s header was controversially awarded as a goal after 65 minutes and Allan Campbell completed the scoring.

Hibernian sealed the Championship title and promotion to the Premiership with a 3-0 win against Queen of the South.

Hibs went ahead with 13 minutes gone when John McGinn knocked in a free-kick to the back-post and defender Darren McGregor jumped to loop a header over Lee Robinson. McGregor added another when he met the corner from Jason Cummings after 38 minutes.

David Gray confirmed there would be no way back for Queens when he headed in a Cummings cross four minutes into the second half. Neil Lennon said that his players “can be proud of what they have achieved after the Scottish Cup win and now the promotion”.

Powered by article was written by Nial Briggs, for The Observer on Saturday 15th April 2017 19.12 Europe/London © Guardian News and Media Limited 2010


Have something to tell us about this article?

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch