Roberto Mancini posts message on Twitter after Leicester City sack Claudio Ranieri

Leicester manager Claudio Ranieri

The former Manchester City boss is said to be among the front-runners to replace Ranieri at Leicester City.

Picture Supplied by Action ImagesFormer Man City boss Roberto Mancini

Roberto Mancini has taken to Twitter in the aftermath of Claudio Ranieri's sacking by Leicester City.

Ranieri was given his marching orders on Thursday evening, with the Foxes winning just one of their previous nine fixtures in all competitions.

And Mancini, who has been out of work since leaving Inter Milan last year, is said to be one of the front-runners to succeed his fellow Italian at the King Power Stadium.

Sky Sports reported on Friday that Leicester have already made contact with the former Manchester City boss, who wrote: "I am sorry for my friend #Ranieri. He will remain in the history of @LCFC, in the heart of #Leicester fans and all football lovers."

Mancini, who played for Leicester on loan during the 2000-01 season, boasts an impressive CV, having won silverware at every club he's managed.

However, should the 52-year-old take over at the King Power Stadium, his immediate focus will be on keeping the Foxes in the Premier League next season.

Leicester City manager Claudio Ranieri after the matchFormer Leicester City manager Claudio Ranieri after Wednesday's loss in Seville

Last year's champions are only a point above the relegation places and are in danger of becoming the first English top flight winners to suffer an immediate relegation after his old side, Manchester City in 1937-38.

Have something to tell us about this article?

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch