Chelsea’s attempts to bring Celtic goalkeeper Craig Gordon to Stamford Bridge may have been boosted after renowned journalist Julien Laurens told the European Football Show that Salvatore Sirigu is not interested in a move to Antonio Conte’s side.
The Telegraph reported earlier in the week that Chelsea had drawn up a shortlist of options if seldom-seen understudy Asmir Begovic was to depart before the end of the month, with Gordon and Sirigu joining Galatasaray’s Uruguayan international Fernando Muslera on the Premier League leaders’ radar.
They add that Celtic have turned down two bids for their 34-year-old shot-stopper, with manager Brendan Rodgers making it clear that Gordon will not be permitted to leave in January, the BBC reports.
However, their resolve could be tested once again as alternative option Sirigu, who is spending the season on loan at Sevilla after falling out of favour at PSG, appears unlikely to be willing to devote another campaign to sitting on another substitutes bench.
“He’s a number two already at Sevilla, I think he wants a number one spot,” Laurens said on the European Football Show, broadcast at 6.45 on Sunday 28th January on BT Sport One.
The Italian international picked up a straight red card in only his second La Liga appearance in September and has not returned to the starting line-up since. And, according to L'Equipe, he could be set for a deadline day move to relegation threatened Osasuna, where his chances of starting regularly will no doubt be increased.
Consequently, it could be a long deadline day in the offices of Parkhead, especially after the Daily Record reported that Gordon is keen on proving himself in the Premier League after a succession of serious injuries ruined his time at Sunderland.
Have something to tell us about this article?