Video: The 5 best signings of the Premier League season so far

Liverpool's Sadio Mane celebrates after scoring their first goal

As the January transfer window begins, we look back at the best transfers of the Premier League season so far, with Manchester United and Liverpool involved.

In another season of mega money and superstars in the Premier League, HITC Sport has selected the five best signings of the 2016/2017 season. Take a look below to see the quintet who have really caught the eye:

5. Sadio Mané - Liverpool

When Sadio Mané and Mario Gotze were both linked to Liverpool at the beginning of the summer transfer window, very few Liverpool fans wanted to see Mané in red over the German World Cup winner. Fans also questioned the price tag when the Senegalese winger moved from Southampton to Liverpool. However, he’s proved all the doubters wrong, becoming one of Jurgen Klopp’s best players so far as Liverpool remain hot on Chelsea’s heels for that Premier League title.

4. Zlatan Ibrahimović - Manchester United

Around this time last year, it seemed as if the Zlatan rumours were never going to end. After months of suspense, he announced via social media that he would be continuing his career with Jose Mourinho’s Manchester United. Since his contract with Paris Saint-Germain had expired, it was a free transfer that followed along with the acquisitions of Paul Pogba and Henrikh Mkhitaryan. The big Swede may be one of the highest earners at United, but there’s no denying that the free transfer was an absolute bargain for Manchester United. He’s proven to be one of their best players so far this season, as Jose Mourinho’s side looks to qualify for the Champions League.

3. Joel Matip - Liverpool

At only 25-years-old, Joel Matip has already played in two World Cups, and has over 200 top flight appearances. For any other player, that CV can result in a hefty price tag. When Liverpool announced that they would sign the Cameroon international for absolutely nothing, it was already classified as a great piece of business from Liverpool. Joel Matip has been immense for Liverpool this season, bringing in a defensive solidity that has been lacking in recent years. His cool head on and off the ball has seen him become one of the first names on the team sheet this season. Schalke have not been the same since Matip’s departure, and are currently sitting mid-table in the Bundesliga.

2. David Luiz - Chelsea

When David Luiz became the world’s most expensive defender after a big money move to Paris Saint-Germain, any rumoured return to Chelsea seemed highly unlikely after he celebrated his goal that would knock Chelsea out of the Champions League. Fast forward a year and a half later, and Stamford Bridge became his home for the second time in his career. Considered one of the strangest transfers in years, nobody thought that the second purchase of the Brazilian would become so beneficial for Chelsea. The Brazilian has been brilliant in Antonio Conte’s back 3 since coming in for John Terry in September.

1. N’Golo Kante - Chelsea

As Leicester fans once said, 70% of the planet is covered by water. The other 30% is covered by N’Golo Kante. There’s been few players who have risen to stardom as quickly as N’Golo Kante. After playing a key part in Leicester’s title winning season, several European giants declared interest in the energetic midfielder. The frenchman’s big money move to Chelsea has proved a brilliant piece of business for the blues, as he’s been one of Antonio Conte’s best players this season. Leicester City have not been the same without his energy this season.

Have something to tell us about this article?

Register for LIVERPOOL team updates

Register for CHELSEA team updates

Register for MANCHESTER UNITED team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch