Scottish roundup: Liam Craig sparks St Johnstone victory over Inverness

Hearts manager Robbie Neilson holds the matchball

St Johnstone earned a first win in five matches as they comprehensively beat 10-man Inverness Caley Thistle 3-0. Liam Craig scored a 14th minute goal and the home side were helped when the Inverness skipper, Gary Warren, was sent off in the 61st minute following two yellow cards in the space of just 60 seconds.

Murray Davidson added a second and Danny Swanson’s strike nine minutes from time ensured it was a terrific afternoon for Tommy Wright’s side. It was a fourth consecutive defeat for Inverness, who are now five without a victory, and they plummeted to the foot of the table with results elsewhere.

Lee Clark tried to keep his players grounded after Kilmarnock shifted into the top half of the Premiership.

Killie’s 2-0 home victory over Dundee saw them rise to sixth place.

Goals either side of the half-time interval from Rory McKenzie and Souleymane Coulibaly earned the Ayrshire team a resounding win.

Clark said: “The league’s crazy. Even though we’re delighted with the performance and we thoroughly deserved the result, which could have been by a bigger margin, we know that the league’s going to just swing around every weekend really because it’s so tight.”

Jamie Walker saw his stoppage-time penalty saved by Scott Fox as Hearts had to settle for a 2-2 draw with Ross County at the Global Energy Stadium.

Liam Boyce restored parity for the hosts with a penalty kick on 86 minutes, after Alim Ozturk was found guilty of handling in the box. Jay McEveley had given County the advantage against the run of play in the 43rd minute before two quick-fire goals from Arnaud Djoum and Callum Paterson midway through the second half looked to have swung the game Hearts’ way. Rangers moved above the Edinburgh side with their 2-1 victory over Aberdeen.

Partick Thistle’s good record over Hamilton continued as the Maryhill side maintained their impressive 10-match unbeaten run with a 1-1 draw at the SuperSeal Stadium.

Alex D’Acol opened the scoring for Hamilton when he took advantage of a Liam Lindsay error to steal the ball and slot home with 15 minutes played. Chris Erskine replaced Ade Azeez after 60 minutes and within a minute Thistle were back on level terms. Erskine’s cross was poorly dealt with by Dan Seaborne and Sean Welsh controlled the ball with his chest before slotting into the net.

Powered by article was written by Nial Briggs, for The Observer on Saturday 3rd December 2016 19.22 Europe/London © Guardian News and Media Limited 2010


Have something to tell us about this article?

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch