Brian O’Connor, the character presumed to be written out of the Fast & Furious movie franchise following the death of the actor who played him, may yet return for future films, Paul Walker’s brothers have revealed.
Speaking to Entertainment Tonight, Cody and Caleb Walker, who stood in for Paul in some scenes in Fast & Furious 7 following the actor’s death in a car accident in November 2013, said they had discussed the possibility with franchise creator and star Vin Diesel.
Caleb said: “I had a phone call with Vin for about an hour and we really discussed this a while back. He wanted [our] blessing.” Diesel had asked if and when they thought it “would be acceptable to maybe bring Paul’s character back … to really kind of let his fans know he’s still out there”.
Post-production on the seventh movie was delayed for many months following the accident, and CGI at a cost of $50m was used alongside the brothers to fill in for Walker on a number of scenes. The film closes with Brian apparently leaving the gang to live happily by the beach with his family.
“Universal wants to make sure to be respectful of Paul and his image too, and his family,” Cody added. The use of photographs of Walker on special posters for the film had been criticised by some for opportunism, but feeling among fans remained that the series had allowed the character to bow out gracefully.
The brothers did not suggest that Brian will feature in the upcoming Fast & Furious movie, whose cast also includes Charlize Theron and Helen Mirren, and which is scheduled for release in 2017. At least two further films are planned.
This article was written by Catherine Shoard, for theguardian.com on Monday 19th September 2016 10.11 Europe/Londonguardian.co.uk © Guardian News and Media Limited 2010