The 32-year-old German midfielder has previously declared his interest in playing in MLS.
The Chicago Fire are interested in offering Manchester United outcast Bastian Schweinsteiger the chance to see out his career in MLS, according to Sports Illustrated’s Grant Wahl.
Schweinsteiger, 32, has been frozen out of the first-team picture at Old Trafford since Jose Mourinho’s arrival earlier this summer and is now training with the reserves after failing to even make his new manager’s 25-man preseason squad.
The ex-Germany midfielder, who was signed from Bayern Munich last summer for a reported £6.5 million fee, still has another two seasons left on his contract, but Mourinho made it clear this week that the chances of him featuring for the club going forward are slim to none.
Asked before Saturday’s 1-0 win at Hull City if there was any chance Schweinsteiger could play for United this season, the former Chelsea boss told the likes of Sky Sports: “I think it’s very difficult to happen. I’m not saying it’s impossible. I’m saying it’s very difficult.
“We have a decision completely made about Paul Pogba, Ander Herrera, Morgan Schneiderlin, Marouane Fellaini and Michael Carrick. We have five players for two positions. It’s very difficult that an opportunity will arrive.”
In the meantime, Schweinsteiger has been linked with both AC Milan and Inter Milan [h/t Manchester Evening News], but the former World Cup winner took to Twitter earlier this week to reveal that United would be his last club in Europe.
He has previously declared his interest in playing in MLS, and his statement understandably fuelled speculation about a potential move across the Atlantic.
According to Wahl, the Fire would be one club interest in signing the 120-times capped German if he does indeed decide to continue his career in the USA, but the fact that the MLS summer transfer window recently closed means he would not be able to join them until January.
Whether Chicago would be able to afford his reported £200,000-per-week wages also remains to be seen at this point, but general manager Nelson Rodriguez did reveal just a few weeks ago during an interview with ExtraTime Radio that the club would be looking to land a legitimate star in the offseason.
“We’re fully aware of the direction the league is headed,” Rodriguez said. “We’ve got to make sure that when we bring in a big player, whoever that may be, whether it’s a young player on the upswing, an established player like Nicolas Lodeiro or a truly recognized player like [Didier] Drogba or [Sebastian] Giovinco has been, that the rest of the team is in position to take advantage of their talents.”