The film has become the subject of a legal wrangle between its producers and the singer, who filed a suit against them last week to block a screening at the Telluride film festival. Franklin’s attorney, Jon D Cantor, said a screening in October at the Chicago film festival had also been cancelled.
This suggests hopes for those wanting to see the film at some point are looking slimmer, as October falls some distance outside the 14-day restraining order imposed on the producers last Friday.
Lawyers for Franklin argue that permission was only originally granted to Sydney Pollack (who died in 2008) to shoot concert footage on the understanding it would not be used for commercial gain without her consent.
A representative for Tiff said: “We are extremely disappointed that Toronto audiences will not be able to see this extraordinary piece of art. The footage in the film is truly a cinematic treasure of 20th century music and we hope global audiences will have opportunity to experience this film once a resolution is found.”
This article was written by Catherine Shoard, for theguardian.com on Tuesday 8th September 2015 19.38 Europe/Londonguardian.co.uk © Guardian News and Media Limited 2010
Have something to tell us about this article?