Report: Tottenham Hotspur target Alexandre Pato's release clause doubles to £14.5m

The deal that could see the Brazilian at Spurs has seemingly become even less likely.

This summer has seen Tottenham Hotspur revamp their striking department. Emmanuel Adebayor is out in the cold whilst Roberto Soldado was sold to Villarreal.

In the meanwhile Clinton N’Jie and Heung-min Son have both arrived and the club remain keen on the signature of West Brom attacker Saido Berahino.

However, it seems they are keeping tabs on a possible alternative, in the form of Brazilian striker Alexandre Pato.

It was reported last night that the Corinthians owned attacker, who is currently out on loan at Sao Paulo, could be on his way to England this summer. His agent is said to be in England trying to broker a deal.

Now his agent Gilmar Veloz has confirmed such talks are under way, telling Globo Esporte:

"We have 72 hours to set something up, we'll see. Something really has, I'm waiting. The Corinthians are trading. Let's hope, there's nothing set."

However, if Spurs are serious about this deal, there is no doubt they are going to struggle to get through it all in the next couple of days.

Pato’s current ownership structure is a minefield.

It has been reported that Pato had a release clause of €10 million (£7.26 million). However Lancenet are now reporting that release clause has doubled to €20 million (£14.5 million) because of a non-payment of image rights by Corinthians.

The other problem is ownership. Corinthians currently own 60% of his player rights, with Pato himself owning the other 40% - but he is also under contract with Sao Paulo until December 2016, which would also need to be paid off.

At the moment Pato is in good form. The former AC Milan star has been scoring goals and playing much more at his level but the truth is this deal looks like more trouble than it is worth for Tottenham.

Register for TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch