Leeds United owner Massimo Cellino says that the club is not up for sale.
Leeds United owner Massimo Cellino has issued a defiant statement after being told by the Football League that he should not continue in his position at Elland Road.
The Football League released a statement earlier today saying: "Mr Cellino is disqualified from holding office or acting as a relevant person at LUFC until March 18, 2015."
However, the boisterous Italian is not willing to put the club official up for sale yet, and insists that the ruling 'does not change anything'.
“The club is not for sale,” Cellino said to The Yorkshire Evening Post. “We are not selling the club, not because of this. This doesn’t change anything.
“Massimo Cellino does not own Leeds. My family company owns Leeds. It is my family’s money which bought the club, not my money.
“I don’t know if I’ll appeal. I need to speak with my lawyers and look through all the papers to see what the League has said about me.
"What is their problem? We pay our bills, we do things right. Nobody was paying anything here when I bought the club. What did the League do about that?
“If my family company asks me to step back for two or three months then I’ll step back. If that has to happen then I’ll do it. But we won’t be selling the club.”
Cellino has 14 days to appeal against the Football League's decision, but it remains to be seen whether he will take up this option.
It is a dramatic turn of events, which puts the Italian's future at the club under severe threat, despite his strong words today.
So far Cellino's reign at the helm at Leeds has been a tumultuous one and the news today simply adds another twist.
The Italian owner has brought in a number of new players, sacked three managers and made a number of headline-making statements to the press since taking control of the club back in February.
The Football League's decision early this morning is the most notable turn of events so far, though, and it remains to be seen what the repercussions to this decision will be.