Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal: We could have won Premier League game v Chelsea

Angry Louis van Gaal

Louis van Gaal says that Manchester United could have picked up all three points against Chelsea at Old Trafford in the Premier League on Sunday.

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal believes that his side should have won against Chelsea on Sunday.

The Premier League clash at Old Trafford between the two sides ended in a 1-1 draw. Didier Drogba broke the deadlock for the Blues on 53 minutes, and Robin van Persie equalised in injury time.

Chelsea also ended the game with 10 men after Branislav Ivanovic was sent off for a second bookable offence.

Reflecting on the game after full time, Van Gaal told Sky Sports that United should have won.

‘I have said to the players that we could have won, but we could not win - and that’s our fault, not the fault of the opponents’, said the Dutchman.

Despite Van Gaal’s assertions, a draw was a fair result. United had 51% and only seven of their 19 shots were on target. On the other hand, Chelsea had 49% possession and four of their nine shots were on goal..

Chelsea deserved to take the lead in the opening minutes of the first half, but Blues boss Jose Mourinho decided to play more defensively. However, United kept piling on the pressure and deservedly picked up a point from the encounter.

Have something to tell us about this article?

Register for MANCHESTER UNITED team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch