Home favourite Jenson Button had a solid session, lapping in 1m36.963s to take seventh. However Button's time was a sobering 1.5s shy of pace-setter Rosberg. He was followed by the Toro Rosso pairing of Daniil Kvyat and Jean-Eric Vergne, with the second McLaren of Kevin Magnussen rounding out the top-10.
Williams endured a nightmare session. Susie Wolff, making her first appearance in FP1, lasted just four laps before her car stopped on-track with oil pressure problems. Things were even worse for Felipe Massa, who crashed heavily at Stowe and caused extensive damage to his car. The Brazilian’s accident stopped the session for 15 minutes and Williams now face a race against time to repair Massa's machine for the afternoon session.
British Grand Prix - Free Practice 1
- Nico Rosberg (Mercedes)
- Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes)
- Fernando Alonso (Ferrari)
- Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull-Renault)
- Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari)
- Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull-Renault)
- Jenson Button (McLaren-Mercedes)
- Daniil Kvyat (Toro Rosso-Renault)
- Jean-Eric Vergne(Toro Rosso-Renault)
- Kevin Magnussen (McLaren-Mercedes)