Manchester United finally announced that Louis van Gaal will be their new permanent manager this week. But while most of the headlines were taken up with that news and the fact that Ryan Giggs would act as United’s assistant manager, there will also be at least two new faces in the Old Trafford dug-out.
But what else do you need to know about them? Here are five facts to get you started:
1) Hoek is currently the goalkeeping coach of the Holland national team. He has been part of van Gaal’s coaching setup at Ajax, Barcelona and Bayern Munich and will replace Chris Woods at Old Trafford. He has previously worked with legendary United goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar so is likely to know what to expect when he heads to the club.
2) Hoek’s playing career was not particularly illustrious, as he spent 12 years at Dutch club FC Volendam. Although in 1977 he helped the club reach the top-flight for the first time in their history.
3) Bout has worked under van Gaal with the Holland national team, AZ Alkmaar and Bayern Munich. When the new United boss left Bayern, Bout remained as assistant manager and was later used by Jupp Heynckes as the German side’s chief match analyst.
4) Bout’s previous spells saw him work at both Feyenoord and Hoek’s former club FC Volendam. He also became head coach at SC Telstar in 2010.
5) The two men are hugely experienced in the game and with a combined age of 106 they will help the considerably younger Ryan Giggs as he finds his feet as van Gaal’s assistant manager.
Have something to tell us about this article?