United as well as Arsenal are said to be interested in the man being dubbed the next great German midfielder. But what can we tell you about him?
Sometimes it can be a curse while other times it can be an apt choice of words whilst others it can be a somewhat inaccurate billing of the players best talents (I don’t think anyone would say that Cristiano Ronaldo is anything like Luis Figo as a player now).
Nonetheless everybody loves to give a talented young player a little extra hype by attributing to them a ‘next (insert world-class footballer)’ label.
So when you see the words the ‘next Michael Ballack’ undoubtedly it will arouse investigation.
So what can we tell you about the German teen being given such a tag?
1) Leon Goretzka was born on the 6th February 1995 in Bochum making him just 18-years-old. He has played for two of his home-town teams WSV Bochum and his current side VfL Bochum.
2) He made his debut for the first-team aged 17; starting the 2.Bundesliga game against Dynamo Dresden in August last year. He has since gone on to play 28 games for the club and score four goals; his first coming on debut against Dresden.
3) He has been a regular for the German youth national sides starting at under 16-level before an impressive stint in the under-17 side. He is now a member of the German under-19 side.
4) In 2012 he was awarded the under-17 Fritz Walter Medal in Gold; an annual accolade celebrating Germany’s most impressive young talent in football. Previous winners include Mario Gotze and Lars Bender.
5) His performances have earned him plenty of admirers. Bayern Munich were linked in January while Juventus, Manchester United and Arsenal are currently being linked with his signature.
Here is a video of the talent in action …
Do you like the looks of this excellent talent?
image: © jbagley