1) Ambition - As the top goalscorer of a club who are only fourth in the league and stand no chance winning any trophies this season, surely Van Persie has higher ambitions than settling for this! Also, if he was to move to a team such as Chelsea who have attacking players such as Lampard and Mata, Van Persie may even be able to achieve a new record to the number of goals scored in one season.
2) Money - It has been reported that Manchester City are willing to pay £210,000 each week in a lucrative offer that could see Van Persie move to the blue side of Manchester. If he does accept this deal then he will follow in the footsteps of former team-mates: Adebayor, Nasri and Clichy.Also at the age of 28, Van Persie would not be able to sustain his sensational performances in the top flight for much longer, therefore a £10,000,000 annual salary might lure RVP to move to the north of England.
3) Trophies - It's no secret that Arsenal have been struggling to keep the dust away from their trophy cabinet in the past 7 years. Their glory days appear to be over regarding trophy wins as shown by their loss in the Carling Cup final 2 years ago to the relegated Birmingham. Even though Arsenal do get far in the competitions such as the Champions League, there is no doubt that RVP will be looking to win trophies at this late stage in his career.
4) One man team - Van Persie's goals has helped to rescue Arsenal when they needed it the most. They managed to snatch 3 points off Liverpool at Anfield thanks to their captain. However, the Arsenal squad have become too reliant on RVP. If hypothetically Van Persie's goals did not count, Arsenal would be 17th in the League. Of course there would be a replacement for Van Persie, but Arsenal would not be able to match their position they are currently in without him.
5) Reinvestment in a younger man - Wenger has clearly shown he likes to create young talent and then adapt them to the Arsenal way of football. Young players such as Ramsey, Wilshere and the "Ox" have all made an impression on the Arsenal starting eleven to be followed by a huge money sale later on which creates huge profit margins for the club. This would not be possible for much longer however as the longer the club waits to sell Van Persie, the more amount of money will fall off the striker's price tag.
image: © Ronnie Macdonald