FA ask QPR and Crystal Palace for report after London derby incident

FA ask QPR and Crystal Palace for report after London derby incidentThe Football Association has begun gathering reports from Queen's Park Rangers, Crystal Palace and the referee Martin Atkinson after bottles were thrown from the away end at Loftus Road into the goalmouth occupied by the home goalkeeper, Paddy Kenny, during Saturday's match.

A number of plastic bottles were thrown after Atkinson awarded QPR a penalty and dismissed Paddy McCarthy for hauling down Adel Taarabt inside the box. There was a delay before play resumed, with the former Palace midfielder Shaun Derry, now with the Championship leaders, approaching the away supporters in a bid to calm the situation down.

The FA is now seeking observations from QPR, who won the game 2-1 courtesy of Heider Helguson's converted penalty, Crystal Palace and Atkinson before deciding whether to pursue sanction.

The Palace manager, Dougie Freedman, apologised to his opposite number, Neil Warnock, after the game and the club's co-chairman Steve Parish has already indicated anyone found guilty of an offence will be banned.

"We're getting people contacting us with seat numbers and information of the people that were throwing and if we can identify the culprits we will deal with them," Parish told the South London Press. "Anybody found doing that won't come and watch Crystal Palace again. There is no grey area – we take this incredibly seriously.

"You can jump up and down and remonstrate verbally - but all these people do by throwing things is endanger others and get the club into trouble and for what? It's not going to change the referee's mind. To be honest when I saw it I was really shocked. It's not something we're going to tolerate."

Powered by Guardian.co.ukThis article was written by Dominic Fifield, for The Guardian on Monday 14th March 2011 16.54 Europe/London

guardian.co.uk © Guardian News and Media Limited 2010

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch